Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.
District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab
David Moss and Zoey SroteApril 24, 2024

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members...

A police officer parks on campus to survey the environment and as a safety precautions. The district increased police presence amidst a school shooting threat that was called into 911 on Sunday.
911 Threat Causes Students to Stay Home, Admin to Increase Security
Emily Chen and Shreya DasApril 22, 2024

The person responsible for yesterday's 911 threat against a Rockwood high school is still unknown. “Today we were alerted that the police...

MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

Activities and Fundraisers Promote Winter Spirit

Media by Prashu Sidella
There are many activities and fundraisers being hosted before winter break. To encourage more school and winter spirit the two school weeks leading up to winter break will be spirit days.

Library

As the semester and year come to an end, students and staff have the opportunity to participate in various winter activities on campus. 

The library is offering different activities for students to participate in to win prizes. 

Ray Holmes, librarian, said there is always an annual winter reading challenge with coloring sheets that students can pick up.

The Window advertising winter reading is filled with prizes for students who read a certain amount of books for the annual winter reading challenge, or who win prizes for Yeti Hide and Seek. (Media by Kate Jesperson)

For every hour a student reads, they fill in a section of the picture on the coloring sheet. When they fill up the page, they can turn it in, which gets them entered for the prizes that are currently on display in the window in front of the library.

“Using the coloring sheets creates a fun way to track your reading throughout the next couple of months,” Holmes said. “Every year we try to do something different around the holiday season, so this year we’ve got a couple of additional things going on.”

Another event the library is doing is Yeti Hide and Seek. 

Every day there is a stuffed yeti hidden somewhere around in the library. Students who find it can fill out a Google form that enters them in to be either a daily winner of some candy, or if students can find the yeti 10 times before break, they get entered in to win one of the bigger prizes displayed in the window outside of the front of the library, such as a huge candy cane filled with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. 

We want to get people excited for the holiday season. We have almost a few weeks off for break and what better way to spend your time than with a good book.

— Ray Holmes

The final activity is the winter library boxes. 

The idea for each box is the librarians will it with treats and check out two books to each student that they think the students will enjoy based on what they shared in a Google Form submission. The first five students to fill out the form on the winter box flyer will get a box full of personalized book recommendations from the librarians.

“We want to get people excited for the holiday season,” Holmes said. “We have almost a few weeks off for break and what better way to spend your time than with a good book.”

Gift Wrapping

Besides these events, various organizations are holding fundraisers to raise money for their clubs during this holiday season. 

This is the flyer for the gift-wrapping fundraiser made by the Equity and Belonging Club who teamed up with the Festival of Nations to make this fundraiser possible.

The Equity and Belonging Club is teaming up with the Festival of Nations organizers to have a gift-wrapping fundraiser. Students and staff can bring in presents on Friday, Dec. 15, and volunteers will wrap them. The cost to wrap small gifts is $2 and $4 for larger presents. 

Shelly Justin, Language Arts Teacher, said the money raised will go toward having a Festival of Nations later this year. 

Justin encourages teachers and parents to donate small materials such as wrapping paper, bows, tape and name tags. 

“Last year when planning the Festival of Nations, we started with no budget. We had no money to pay anyone to do anything,” Justin said. “We decided this year to try to raise more money ahead of time so that we could get different people to come in and be able to help offset some of the costs for some of the families who have booths who might need some kind of materials.”

Candy Grams

The Junior Class officers are selling candy cane grams during the lunch shifts through Tuesday, Dec. 12, to raise money for Prom. Students can buy them for $1 and write a message for their friends and such. 

This is the flyer for the candy grams prom fundraiser, made by the junior class officers. (Media by Kate Jesperson)

Kendall Creech, Junior Class secretary, is part of the group that put on the candy gram fundraiser.

“We have to gain a certain amount of money so doing the candy grams is getting us started for making that profit,” Creech said.

It’s a way to get people to buy holiday candy for others and to get people to start off break happy,

— Kendall Creech

The grams are made up of candy canes that come with little cards on which people write the name of who they’re giving the candy gram to, and then they can sign the card so people know who gave them the gram.

“It’s a way to get people to buy holiday candy for others and to get people to start off break happy,” Creech said.

The candy grams will be handed out next week.