Cristal Strate, FBLA sponsor, announces the club members who will be going to nationals for the Prepared Project competition. Freshmen Miridul Soupramanien, Harshith Akurati and Vibhav Chinta competed in the Intros to Programming project.
FBLA Students Go to Nationals
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 10, 2024

Several students in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) will travel to Nationals in Orlando, Florida, on Friday, June 28, as part of the...

Many students use filler words when they communicate without realizing it. “For a person who’s listening to you, it can undermine your message and your confidence level so that you don’t look as though you are prepared,” Cate Sanazaro, language arts teacher, said.
It's, Like, a Habit I Guess
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • May 8, 2024

When Madison Cook, sophomore, speaks to others, her sentences are full of filler words. “I get really nervous when I’m talking and just...

Labadie Energy Center is the largest coal-powered power plant in the St. Louis region. It began operating in 1973.
In-Depth: Path to Power
Aubrey Lacavich and David MossMay 8, 2024

For Yaw Oduro, freshman, electricity wasn’t always as simple as flicking a switch. Oduro was born in South Africa and lived there for 14...

Each spring, the Community Service class creates posters to display the colleges that seniors will be attending in the fall.
How Seniors Prepared for College Admission Deadline
Zoey Srote, Staff Reporter • May 8, 2024

May 1 was college decision day. A majority of colleges across the country require students to make a decision on whether to accept or decline...

Tennis Team, Admin Honor Teacher Diagnosed with Cancer

Every year, the tennis team organizes an annual cancer awareness event. This year, they planned to spotlight Mike Wagner, science teacher, who was diagnosed with stomach cancer in January.

Due to rain, that match was canceled and couldn’t be rescheduled.

Wagner said it was an honor that the team planned to recognize him and that their efforts to spread awareness are important to the community as a whole.

“What I’m going through, every family seems to go through at one point or another,” Wagner said.

It’s hard seeing a teacher go through something that you have no control over,

— Isabella Tyulyayev

Wagner was diagnosed with abdominal cancer in early January and then went through four sessions of chemotherapy. After a respite period, he had surgery on Monday, April 26, with the goal to be cancer-free following that surgery.

“His family reached out to some faculty members and said that he’s having a hard time,” Alex Nelle, varsity tennis coach, said. “We wanted to do something to try to boost his spirits.”

Isabella Tyluyayev, junior, has Wagner in AP Physics class and is happy the team was planning to recognize him.

Doing something that is out on the track, visible that people are doing together just seemed a little bit more active, visual and meaningful,

— Dr. Michael Wegener

“It’s hard seeing a teacher go through something that you have no control over,” Tyulyayev said.

The administration and staff also recognized and fundraised for Wagner during the Walk for Wagner event on Friday, May 3.

Dr. Michael Wegener, associate principal, participated in and helped plan the event. Dr. Wegener said the administration wanted the staff involved in fundraising.

“Doing something that is out on the track, visible that people are doing together just seemed a little bit more active, visual and meaningful,” Dr. Wegener said.

There were more than 45 teachers participating in the walk, and they raised $1,500. Dr. Wegener joined the administration to ensure a principal is always walking the track during the seven-hour fundraiser.