Lauren Steidtmann, sophomore, is an only child but thinks  birth order influences how children grow up. “I think that birth order definitely changes the expectations that parents put on you and how you’re expected to perform, both in school and in other responsibilities,” Steidtmann said.
What Does Birth Order Say About You?
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

As an only child, Lauren Steidtmann, sophomore, grew up around adults instead of kids. “I always talked to adults, so I was always really...

Luis Miranda Hernandez, freshman, works on an assignment in his Spanish 2 class. Miranda Hernandez speaks Spanish at home and plans to take Heritage Spanish next year.
Heritage Spanish Classes to be Added Next Year
Luke Graves, Business Manager • May 22, 2024

Next year, Spanish Heritage classes will be offered for the first time. The classes will have two levels and will involve students who grew up...

Equine Assisted Therapy involves the use of horses to develop cognitive skills, empathy, and teamwork to name a few. Equine therapy is suitable for all demographics.
Equine Therapy Offers Alternative to Traditional Therapy
Tessa Autery, Staff Reporter • May 22, 2024

Cassidy Kerber, freshman, has lived at a barn for her entire life. She spends her days in the stables riding, walking and grazing horses. “Whenever...

Cristal Strate, FBLA sponsor, announces the club members who will be going to nationals for the Prepared Project competition. Freshmen Miridul Soupramanien, Harshith Akurati and Vibhav Chinta competed in the Intros to Programming project.
FBLA Students Go to Nationals
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 10, 2024

Several students in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) will travel to Nationals in Orlando, Florida, on Friday, June 28, as part of the...

How Seniors Prepared for College Admission Deadline

Each+spring%2C+the+Community+Service+class+creates+posters+to+display+the+colleges+that+seniors+will+be+attending+in+the+fall.+
Media by Zoey Srote
Each spring, the Community Service class creates posters to display the colleges that seniors will be attending in the fall.

May 1 was college decision day. A majority of colleges across the country require students to make a decision on whether to accept or decline an offer of admission to allow time to remove students from waitlists.

Bryson Weaver, senior, committed to Missouri State University. His main focus was finding a place that felt like home because moving is such a drastic change.

“There’s a part of college that is terrifying,” Weaver said. “You’re leaving everything you’re raised on.”

There’s a part of college that is terrifying. You’re leaving everything you’re raised on.

— Bryson Weaver

Instead of being set on a certain school from the beginning, Weaver focused on deciding what programs he wanted to be involved in so he could find the best fit for him.

For Weaver, the most challenging part of applying to colleges was writing application essays.

“I’m not a person that likes to brag about myself,” Weaver said. “It’s a long, awkward process.”

Another important aspect that got him through the admissions process was using his college and career counselor Paula Ake.

“She was extremely helpful,” Weaver said, “Even just being there for me.”

There will be moments where your expectations will be exceeded or shattered, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make the best of what you’re left with,

— Vinny Thatiparthi

Ake starts working with students in the spring of their junior year.

“We help students with every aspect of the college admissions process, from assisting students with narrowing down their college lists to sending official transcripts and other documents as needed,” Ake said.

Even though college admissions can be stressful, Ake recommends students start researching schools early, staying organized, paying attention to deadlines and going on college visits if possible to be best prepared.

Vinny Thatiparthi, senior, said college visits helped him narrow down his choices.

“You could feel indifferent about them academically or campus environment-wise,” Thatiparthi said. “When you take time to observe your living conditions, you’ll get a better idea of answering the question ‘Can I live here for the next 4 years?’”

One important piece of advice Thatiparthi has is to remember that the college admissions process is just a fraction of your life.

“There will be moments where your expectations will be exceeded or shattered, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make the best of what you’re left with,” Thatiparthi said.