Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.
Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 21, 2024

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before...

At any given time, students can be found in the Library or in a classroom on their phone, sometimes while also on another screen such as their Chromebook.
Hard Habit to Break
Willem Hummel and Gwyn MathusMay 17, 2024

Gianna Kensy, sophomore, said she often feels peer pressure to constantly post on social media. “On Snapchat, it's mainly you wanna say...

On Friday night, the northern lights were visible within miles of MHS.
Look Up
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 15, 2024

Parker Goltzman, freshman, was in Malinmor, Missouri, celebrating his dad’s birthday on Friday, May 10. “I was outside with my family...

New Art Class Adds Mural to Music Wing

Media by Owen Plein
Seniors Kiley Markley, Kara Miller and Sydney Barkley add a layer of black outline paint to the pencil sketch they drew on the wall outside of the music wing. The mural was commissioned by Christian Pierce, band director.
Kara Miller, senior, adds details to the new mural going up in the music wing during her fifth hour Arts and Design Applications class. (Media by Owen Plein)

Wanting to get real-world experiences with art in hopes of becoming a graphic designer in the future, Sydney Barkley, senior, joined the new Arts and Design Applications class.

“I thought it would be interesting to see how to use art in the real world and with actual clients. That’s what this class is all about,” Barkley said.

Christian Pierce, band teacher, reached out to the class to see if anyone would be interested in painting a mural for the Performing Arts Department. Barkley, and seniors Kiley Markley and later Kara Miller took interest in the opportunity.

Working as a group, the three students designed the mural online and used a projector to sketch it onto the wall outside of the orchestra classroom. 

Each student is working on one letter to spell out MHS, and each letter is filled in with different music icons. Barkley is working on the “S.”

“Each of our letters are very different, so at first we thought we did it wrong, but then we saw it as fun and positive,” Barkley said.  “We like showing our different styles and it ties together nicely.”

“Each of our letters are very different, so at first we thought we did it wrong, but then we saw it as fun and positive. We like showing our different styles and it ties together nicely.”

— Sydney Barkley

Miller designed and is painting the “H,” Markley is creating the “M” and soon all three will add the music staff in the background.

“Working in a group has been positive for me because I feel like I’m not very capable of knowing when I’m expecting too much of myself,” Miller said.

Abbey Gradle, art teacher, allowed the students to have full creative control of the project, and just helped them get approval for the mural.

“I see how everything is going, or if they need different materials I source that out,” Gradle said. “I help them maneuver the logistics sides of things.”