Lauren Steidtmann, sophomore, is an only child but thinks  birth order influences how children grow up. “I think that birth order definitely changes the expectations that parents put on you and how you’re expected to perform, both in school and in other responsibilities,” Steidtmann said.
What Does Birth Order Say About You?
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

As an only child, Lauren Steidtmann, sophomore, grew up around adults instead of kids. “I always talked to adults, so I was always really...

Luis Miranda Hernandez, freshman, works on an assignment in his Spanish 2 class. Miranda Hernandez speaks Spanish at home and plans to take Heritage Spanish next year.
Heritage Spanish Classes to be Added Next Year
Luke Graves, Business Manager • May 22, 2024

Next year, Spanish Heritage classes will be offered for the first time. The classes will have two levels and will involve students who grew up...

Equine Assisted Therapy involves the use of horses to develop cognitive skills, empathy, and teamwork to name a few. Equine therapy is suitable for all demographics.
Equine Therapy Offers Alternative to Traditional Therapy
Tessa Autery, Staff Reporter • May 22, 2024

Cassidy Kerber, freshman, has lived at a barn for her entire life. She spends her days in the stables riding, walking and grazing horses. “Whenever...

Cristal Strate, FBLA sponsor, announces the club members who will be going to nationals for the Prepared Project competition. Freshmen Miridul Soupramanien, Harshith Akurati and Vibhav Chinta competed in the Intros to Programming project.
FBLA Students Go to Nationals
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 10, 2024

Several students in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) will travel to Nationals in Orlando, Florida, on Friday, June 28, as part of the...

It’s, Like, a Habit I Guess

Students Reflect on Using Filler Words While Speaking
Many+students+use+filler+words+when+they+communicate+without+realizing+it.+%E2%80%9CFor+a+person+who%E2%80%99s+listening+to+you%2C+it+can+undermine+your+message+and+your+confidence+level+so+that+you+don%E2%80%99t+look+as+though+you+are+prepared%2C%E2%80%9D+Cate+Sanazaro%2C+language+arts+teacher%2C+said.+
Media by Elizabeth Bahr
Many students use filler words when they communicate without realizing it. “For a person who’s listening to you, it can undermine your message and your confidence level so that you don’t look as though you are prepared,” Cate Sanazaro, language arts teacher, said.

When Madison Cook, sophomore, speaks to others, her sentences are full of filler words.

“I get really nervous when I’m talking and just reach for whatever I can think of, and it’s usually ‘like’ or ‘um’,” Cook said.

For many students, filler words are a natural part of communication. While they can be annoying, they give a person time to think about what to say next, Cook said.

I don’t think it’s harmful to use filler words in a conversation in a casual setting because it’s natural and you’re not trying to be concise when you’re speaking with a friend.

— Ankush Vasireddy

“Sometimes I just take really long periods of time to think, but I think that’s worse than using ‘like’ or ‘um’,” Cook said.

Ankush Vasireddy, senior, said filler words are also common because they are a habit.

Vasireddy has been doing Speech and Debate since freshman year. Avoiding filler words can make a person’s speaking smooth and concise, Vasireddy said.

“When you’re giving a speech, it’s definitely stronger not to use filler words,” Vasireddy said. “I don’t think it’s harmful to use filler words in a conversation in a casual setting because it’s natural and you’re not trying to be concise when you’re speaking with a friend.”

Cate Sanazaro, language arts teacher, sponsors Speech and Debate and said filler words usually occur in public speaking when a person is unprepared.

Practice is the best method of getting over using too many filler words.

— Cate Sanazaro

“Practice is the best method of getting over using too many filler words,” Sanazaro said.

Sanazaro recommends a free app called Speeko to help a person practice speaking and focus on filler words. Speeko provides a prompt, records a person’s response and assesses different aspects of speech, such as tone, rate and the amount of filler words used.

To practice for formal events such as a job interview, a person can answer rapid-fire questions to stimulate the conditions.

“I think that having someone listen to you and count your filler words is very helpful,” Sanazaro said.