MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

MHSNews | Science Bowl Team Buzzes Competition
Jack Favazza, Executive Producer • April 15, 2024

The Science Bowl team recently qualified for the national championship after winning the Missouri regional competition. The team, sponsored by...

After Spring Break, mirrors in MHS bathrooms were moved or removed. This is a way to protect students privacy since bathroom doors are now being propped open, Freshman Principal Kyle Devine said.
Bathroom Mirror Removal Frustrates Students
Morgan Siegel and Samantha PerzApril 11, 2024

Racquel Borland, sophomore, wakes up at 5:30 a.m. every morning to begin getting ready for school before she leaves to catch her bus at 6:40...

Science Bowl Team Advances to Nationals for the First Time

Junior Atharva Shinde, Seniors Arnav Busani, Andrew Wu, Ankush Vasireddy, Yoon Jae Chang, and Sponsor Cathy Farrar receive their first place regional plaque. (Media by Vani Radhakrishnan)

Seniors Ankush Vasireddy, Arnav Busani, Yoon Jae Chang, Andrew Wu and junior Atharva Shinde won the Regional Science Bowl for the first time in MHS’ history.

“I feel like it’s kind of this last hurrah of my high school career,” Wu said. “It’s like a satisfying release, and honestly since it’s senior year, it’s kind of just fun.”

The competition is sponsored by the Department of Energy and Wu, who has been involved in the Science Bowl since sixth grade, has accumulated his knowledge from other science competitions, meetings for the Science Bowl club, reading textbooks and online practice questions.

Questions cover biology, chemistry, physics, energy, earth and space sciences and math. Competitors have 5 seconds to answer, and if they get that question right, they get a bonus question that must be answered in 20 seconds.

The Science Bowl team is now advancing to the National competition in Washington D.C. from Thursday, April 25, to Monday, April 29.

“I’m looking forward to meeting some friends I know from across the U.S.,” Wu said.

Chang is also excited for the trip.

“We’re just doing it for the experience and we don’t really expect much, but it’s fun,” Chang said.

Chang was convinced to join Science Bowl by his friends who have been involved since middle school.

“The hardest part about Science Bowl is that you have to beat the other team to the question,” Chang said. “At that level, you have to do complex math in like 1 to 2 seconds.”

Dr. Cathy Farrar, sponsor of the Science Bowl team, said the team’s speed is astounding. 

“It’s just such a great group of guys to work with. It’s just really nice to see them have a good time and be able to be recognized for all the hard work they put in,” Dr. Farrar said.