MHSNews | Inside The Seams Ep. 3: Katelyn Morgenthaler
Lani Hines and Lydia LangeApril 10, 2024

From picking up a lacrosse stick for the first time her freshman year to committing as a D2 athlete her junior year, Katelyn Morgenthaler shares...

MHSNews | Excess Heat Affects Track Season
Stephan Bosnjak, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024

The weather outside is starting to heat up already, and it is just the start of the track season. MHSNews spoke with Evan Voelker, Brady Lingafelter,...

Aaron Akin, junior, pitches against Northwest on Friday, March 29. Akin threw a no-hitter, a game in which the pitcher does not give up a single hit. (Media By Jennifer Akin)
Junior Throws Fourth No-Hitter in MHS History
Annabelle Miller and Justin SmallApril 3, 2024

Cheered on by excited spectators and parents, Aaron Akin, junior, threw the first no-hitter in a decade, and the fourth at MHS, at the varsity...

In addition to placing first in her division at the state archery competition, senior Sydney Sonn’s score of 514 set a new state record for the highest score in her USA Archery Junior Olympic Archery Development age division, females ages 18-21, for this indoor state competition.
Senior Takes First at State Archery Championship, Breaks Record
Kate Jesperson, Page Designer • April 3, 2024

Sydney Sonn, senior, inhales and exhales, releasing her final arrow. It whistles past her cheek and onto the target, earning the final points...

MHSNews | Girls Basketball Takes Home District Title
Lani Hines, Staff Reporter • April 2, 2024

Girls basketball took home the District Champion title after defeating Eureka in the District Championship game. With the final score of 51-47,...

Throneberry Balances Baseball Commitment and Football

Media by Hailey Neuner
Sophomore Caden Throneberry looks to make a pass during practice on Oct. 24. With Districts quickly approaching, Throneberry said, “If we do what we’re supposed to, we will make a good run in the playoffs.”

Before the Mizzou baseball commit Caden Throneberry, sophomore, could pick up a ball, his parents introduced him to music at age 4. 

“The piano is something I can go to when I’m bored. It’s a cool trick to have,” Throneberry said.

Playing a musical instrument requires coordination and practice and these same principles carry into Throneberry’s athletic pursuits on both the football field and the baseball diamond.

Marc Ostrowski, freshman baseball coach, made note of Throneberry’s maturity when he entered the baseball program as a freshman. Throneberry announced his verbal commitment to the University of Missouri several months before that season began.

When I’m out there, I don’t feel younger.

— Caden Throneberry

For someone to commit to a program in the eighth grade and the maturity it takes, it means that the player has quite a bit of foresight and has a long-term vision for where they see themselves competing in the years to come,” Ostrowski said.

Ostrowski said Throneberry’s maturity and strength have helped him stand out from one sport to the next.

“It’s no surprise. When he’s that far ahead of other athletes his age in one sport, it stands to reason he’d be that way in other sports,” Ostrowski said. 

Throneberry said he spends much of his Saturday recovering from the long week of training and recharging for the next week. He said there is a great deal of pressure that accompanies committing to an SEC program, and it’s important he keeps his body healthy while transitioning from one sport to the next.

“Those expectations are good sometimes. They push me to be better,” Throneberry said.

Throneberry said his older brother, Connor, is playing baseball at Penn State. He said Connor had a hand in paving the way for his D1 baseball commitment.

This year marks Throneberry’s debut season on the varsity football team. He has assumed a leadership role as the starting quarterback while being one of the youngest on the field.

There’s no better feeling than playing under the lights.

— Caden Throneberry

“When I’m out there, I don’t feel younger. I feel it’s important for me to just be a leader. It’s the most important thing I can do as a quarterback,” Throneberry said.

John Meyer, varsity baseball coach, said baseball and football share similar elements such as pitch recognition as a hitter is similar to a quarterback reading the defense under pressure.

“Overcoming failure in baseball versus the fear of getting hit in football go hand in hand,” Meyer said. 

Meyer said baseball breeds multi-sport athletes. 

“Baseball is a 360 degree sport. The hand-eye coordination and game speed create very versatile athletes,” Meyer said. “They run. They throw. They hit.”

View Comments (1)
$15
$625

About the Contributor
Hailey Neuner
Hailey Neuner, Co-Sports Editor
Hailey Neuner, senior, is a first-year Sports Editor for MHS News. She competes in varsity softball and varsity lacrosse. Hailey loves music and cooking, and is a big advocate for student-athlete mental health, managing her own podcast and club.
$15
$625

• ToddNov 7, 2023 at 8:02 AM

One day people will realize the kind of athlete it takes to be a successful baseball player. Caden is a rare breed and special player at 2 sports. Pretty amazing stuff!

Reply