Girls water polo won the State championship against Parkway North on Tuesday, May 14. They won second place the two previous years.
Girls Water Polo Wins State
Luke Graves and Anvi TalyanMay 15, 2024

“Buzz!” As the final timer blared at the girls water polo state championship game, junior Nevaeh Kerber, cried tears of joy. The water...

Maryann Kenyon, freshman, just finished her first year on the varsity girls basketball team. We went to talk to her about her experiences as a player not only at MHS but also throughout her career.
Meet MHS | Maryann Kenyon
Gwyn Mathus, Staff Reporter • May 10, 2024

Maryann Kenyon, freshman, just finished her first year on the varsity girl's basketball team. We went to talk to her about her...

Danner attempts to break her Marquette javelin record of 37.2 meters at the conference meet on Friday. 

Photograph by Jackie Danner
Senior Breaks Girls Javelin Record
Aiden Burkhardt and Justin SmallMay 6, 2024

After launching the javelin into the air, Natalie Danner, senior, was proud as it traveled 38.4 meters down the field. Danner broke her own...

Varsity lacrosse players huddle up before their game against Rockwood Summit. Both Lally and Haas scored their 100 goal on senior night.  Photograph by Katherine Schroeder
Scoring Success
Prashu Sidella, Online Editor • May 6, 2024

Lacrosse players Marin Lally, junior, and Madelyn Haas, senior, have recently achieved two notable milestones of scoring 100 career points and...

Aubrey Watson and Meyer meet in a huddle at the mound during a District game in the 2022 season.
Photograph by Amanda Watson
"Play Hard, Play Together, Play like a Mustang"
Hailey Neuner, Sports Editor • May 3, 2024

John Meyer and Eric Schweain announced their coaching retirements from softball and boys basketball, respectively, earlier this year.  Adam...

Junior Throws Fourth No-Hitter in MHS History

Aaron Akin, junior, pitches against Northwest on Friday, March 29. Akin threw a no-hitter, a game in which the pitcher does not give up a single hit. (Media By Jennifer Akin)

Cheered on by excited spectators and parents, Aaron Akin, junior, threw the first no-hitter in a decade, and the fourth at MHS, at the varsity baseball game against Northwest High School on Friday, March 29. 

“It was a really special moment,” Akin said. “I was proud of myself.”

You kind of just prepare to pitch as your best and do your best each game,

— Aaron Akin

In baseball, a no-hitter is a game in which the pitcher doesn’t give up a single hit. Akin said most players don’t practice specifically for no-hitters.

“You kind of just prepare to pitch as your best and do your best each game,” Akin said. “That’s what I tried to do and it worked out well.”

John Meyer, head baseball coach, said throwing a no-hitter is rare in high school baseball. Meyer said the in-game atmosphere was competitive but overall positive.

The players cheer for Akin after he completes his no-hitter. (Media By Jennifer Akin)

“As the game starts to build around the third or fourth inning, I think most people quietly know what’s happening and what’s at stake,” Meyer said.

Meyer talked to Akin between innings encouraging him to just keep throwing strikes, get ahead of hitters and focus on the lead-off out. Meyer said Akin didn’t recognize he was throwing a no-hitter during the game.

“That played a role in being able to pull it off because you’re not even distracted by it,” Meyer said. “You’re just competing and trying to get hitters out.”

A key part of completing a no-hitter is the defense, Meyer said. Left-fielder Jake Miller, senior, made a sliding catch along the left-field line to save a hit and the no-hitter, and Meyer said it was a defining moment of the game.

“[The defense] gets locked in and they don’t want to be the guy that keeps it from happening,” Meyer said.

Ryan Heil, senior, was Akin’s catcher during the game last Friday. He said the no-hitter could be great for Akin’s baseball career.

We were struggling before that but now I think we’re all on the same page. We’ve seen what success looks like on the field.

— Ryan Heil

“It gets his confidence way up which is really good for him,” Heil said. “It could allow him later in the season to better develop.”

Heil said he looks forward to the team continuing to play good games for the rest of the season. 

“We were struggling before that, but now I think we’re all on the same page,” Heil said. “We’ve seen what success looks like on the field.”

Varsity Baseball will play Parkway West at home today at 4:30 p.m.