Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.
Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 21, 2024

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before...

At any given time, students can be found in the Library or in a classroom on their phone, sometimes while also on another screen such as their Chromebook.
Hard Habit to Break
Willem Hummel and Gwyn MathusMay 17, 2024

Gianna Kensy, sophomore, said she often feels peer pressure to constantly post on social media. “On Snapchat, it's mainly you wanna say...

On Friday night, the northern lights were visible within miles of MHS.
Look Up
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 15, 2024

Parker Goltzman, freshman, was in Malinmor, Missouri, celebrating his dad’s birthday on Friday, May 10. “I was outside with my family...

District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab

Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members of MHS’ SFL club before finding out that a new policy restricts him from doing so.

“We have to keep changing the dates. It’s ruining the club meetings,” Barton said. 

A district-wide policy that went out to teachers on Thursday, April 18, restricts non-curricular clubs from having guest speakers during Ac Lab. Instead, clubs must host speakers before or after school and they must be approved. 

A definite list of curricular-based clubs, which are not affected by this new rule, is not currently available, as club rules will be changing for the 2024-2025 school year. 

“If they can have speakers, we should be able to have speakers too,” Barton said. “We have always wanted her to come. It just doesn’t always work out.”

Barton said the SFL club will run their next meeting at 3:40 p.m. today, rather than their usual meeting time during Ac Lab, in order to host their guest speaker. 

“I don’t think there’ll be many changes at all. It’s just a difference in protocol, not necessarily the result.”

— Adam Starling

Activities Director Adam Starling said all the non-curricular speakers will still be vetted, but it will occur through the club sponsor and an administrator instead of the Partners in Education (PIE) office.

“I don’t think there’ll be many changes at all,” Starling said. “It’s just a difference in protocol, not necessarily the result.”

Ray Holmes, librarian, said speakers hosted by the Library’s organizations are considered curricular based, but speakers from non-curricular-based clubs and other organizations that utilize the Library space will fall under the new restriction.

Holmes said his one concern with the change is it may limit opportunities for students to hear from experts and professionals in various fields.

“Ac Lab is a perfect time for students during the school day to not only focus on academics but also to get access to extracurricular opportunities,” Holmes said. “Not every student can come in before school or stick around outside the school day.”