Cicada nymphs are uncovered in a Ballwin back yard. The nymph phase is the longest stage in a cicada’s life. As a nymph, they remain underground only emerging to lay eggs and mate. While underground, they subsist off of tree sap. Some cicadas emerge annually, while others emerge once every 13-17 years. 
Photograph by Jim Gerken
Massive Cicada Emergence Coming this Year
David Moss, News Editor • May 3, 2024

Only a year after moving to St. Louis, Ed Bolton, chemistry teacher, experienced a massive emergence of periodical cicadas in 1986. “They...

MHSNews | Brand New Fire in the Hole Opens at Silver Dollar City
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 29, 2024

The Crestview Middle School music department visited Silver Dollar City on Saturday, April 27. Some students had the chance to ride the new version...

Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.
District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab
David Moss and Zoey SroteApril 24, 2024

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members...

A police officer parks on campus to survey the environment and as a safety precautions. The district increased police presence amidst a school shooting threat that was called into 911 on Sunday.
911 Threat Causes Students to Stay Home, Admin to Increase Security
Emily Chen and Shreya DasApril 22, 2024

The person responsible for yesterday's 911 threat against a Rockwood high school is still unknown. “Today we were alerted that the police...

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members of MHS’ SFL club before finding out that a new policy restricts him from doing so.

“We have to keep changing the dates. It’s ruining the club meetings,” Barton said. 

A district-wide policy that went out to teachers on Thursday, April 18, restricts non-curricular clubs from having guest speakers during Ac Lab. Instead, clubs must host speakers before or after school and they must be approved. 

A definite list of curricular-based clubs, which are not affected by this new rule, is not currently available, as club rules will be changing for the 2024-2025 school year. 

“If they can have speakers, we should be able to have speakers too,” Barton said. “We have always wanted her to come. It just doesn’t always work out.”

Barton said the SFL club will run their next meeting at 3:40 p.m. today, rather than their usual meeting time during Ac Lab, in order to host their guest speaker. 

“I don’t think there’ll be many changes at all. It’s just a difference in protocol, not necessarily the result.”

— Adam Starling

Activities Director Adam Starling said all the non-curricular speakers will still be vetted, but it will occur through the club sponsor and an administrator instead of the Partners in Education (PIE) office.

“I don’t think there’ll be many changes at all,” Starling said. “It’s just a difference in protocol, not necessarily the result.”

Ray Holmes, librarian, said speakers hosted by the Library’s organizations are considered curricular based, but speakers from non-curricular-based clubs and other organizations that utilize the Library space will fall under the new restriction.

Holmes said his one concern with the change is it may limit opportunities for students to hear from experts and professionals in various fields.

“Ac Lab is a perfect time for students during the school day to not only focus on academics but also to get access to extracurricular opportunities,” Holmes said. “Not every student can come in before school or stick around outside the school day.”