Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.
Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 21, 2024

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before...

At any given time, students can be found in the Library or in a classroom on their phone, sometimes while also on another screen such as their Chromebook.
Hard Habit to Break
Willem Hummel and Gwyn MathusMay 17, 2024

Gianna Kensy, sophomore, said she often feels peer pressure to constantly post on social media. “On Snapchat, it's mainly you wanna say...

On Friday night, the northern lights were visible within miles of MHS.
Look Up
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 15, 2024

Parker Goltzman, freshman, was in Malinmor, Missouri, celebrating his dad’s birthday on Friday, May 10. “I was outside with my family...

MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule

Media by Aubrey Lacavich
MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule

Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. 

“I’m not aware of any effects to class schedules this may have as of right now because we’re still planning all the aspects of it,” Senior Principal Amy Sturges said. 

Ultimately, the decision was made in the hopes of balancing schedules on A-Days, but it also was made to give custodians a breather.

“It allows a little break for our cafeteria staff to reset,” Sturges said.

“Right now, fourth hour is longer to accommodate four lunch shifts, but switching to three will push minutes back into the other classes on A days. Everything else will stay the same.”

— Tracey Waeckerle

For Rhea Sen, junior, fourth hour on A-Days seems to last forever. The administration last altered lunch schedules in 2020, moving from three to four lunch shifts because of staff shortages, high enrollment and COVID-19. 

“I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.

Fourth hour is currently 31 minutes longer on A-Days than all other hours, but with the lunch shift changes, it’ll be around the same length as all other classes.

“Right now, fourth hour is longer to accommodate four lunch shifts, but switching to three will  push minutes back into the other classes on A days,” said Principal Tracey Waeckerle, “Everything else will stay the same.”

On block days there will most likely be a gap in place of second or third lunch to give cafeteria workers more time to clean up and prepare for the next shift. Many sciences and P.E. Teachers require students to have first or fourth lunch because class time cannot be interrupted. 

“We seem to be catching back up on custodial and cafeteria staff shortages, so we decided to put that time back into other classes,” Dr. Waeckerle said.