A&E
MHSNews | Silver Dollar City Walking Tour
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 28, 2024

No commentary Walking tour of Silver Dollar City, located in Branson Missouri. Featuring the new Fire In The Hole attraction plaza along with...

MHSNews | Making Art at the Manchester Makers Mart
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • April 26, 2024

At Schroeder Park, the Manchester Parks, Recreation, and Arts Department hosted the Manchester Makers Mart to celebrate Earth Day. The event...

The Tortured Poets Department was released in 4 additional vinyl variants, including The Manuscript, The Bolter, The Albatross (pictured) and The Black Dog.
Review: The Tortured Poets Department
Zoey SroteApril 26, 2024

Since its announcement at The Grammy Awards in February, “The Tortured Poets Department” (TTPD) by Taylor Swift has been highly anticipated....

MHSNews | Geeking Out with First Friday
MHSNews | Geeking Out with First Friday
Gabe Conaway, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

Every month, the St Louis Science Center hosts First Friday. The First Friday held on March 1st was centered around anime. The event features...

Finding the Flame: Final Fantasy XVI Review
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 22, 2024

Final Fantasy XVI Main Game Final Fantasy XVI (FFXVI) is a groundbreaking action Role Playing Game (RPG) developed by Creative Business 3 (CBU3)...

Teacher, students share journeys to learn guitar

Sean+Schierbecker%2C+guitar+teacher%2C+models+basic+chords+during+a+lesson+to+his+fourth-hour+students.+Schierbecker+is+self-taught+on+the+guitar.+
Media by Emily Chien
Sean Schierbecker, guitar teacher, models basic chords during a lesson to his fourth-hour students. Schierbecker is self-taught on the guitar.

Standing on center stage, Jonathan Pirrello, senior, strums his guitar alongside his band Ninevolt. Pirrello taught himself to play in seventh grade and has improved his skills ever since.

Pirrello said he never listened to guitar music until he discovered Mac Demarco’s music. He was instantly inspired and fell in love with the guitar. The first song Pirrello learned was “Blue Boy,” by Demarco, which he said was easy to learn because he had fun doing it. 

“I really enjoy playing guitar because it’s really easy to be expressive without being super good,” Pirrello said. “It’s the easiest songwriting tool next to piano, and it has so much versatility.”

Sean Schierbecker, guitar teacher, models basic chords during a lesson to his fourth hour students. Schierbecker is self taught on the guitar. (Media by Emily Chien)

Pirrello said he definitely believes music is going to be his career in the future and already loves performing.

“It feels really cool to be up there,” Pirrello said. “We’re bringing all these people together, they really enjoy our shows and we’re making money off of it.”

It feels really cool to be up there. We’re bringing all these people together, they really enjoy our shows and we’re making money off of it.

— Jonathan Pirrello

Pirrello said he recommends that other people should learn by finding inspiration in the music they enjoy. 

Ava Smith, junior, learned to play guitar during COVID-19 after receiving a guitar as a Christmas present in 2020. She said she learned through an app called Fender.

Smith said she was motivated to learn guitar because of all the music that she listened to.

“I wanted to be able to play and sing songs at the same time,” Smith said. “I really wanted to do guitar, and Taylor Swift has been a great inspiration for me.”

Smith said she enjoys learning songs like “A Deal With God,” by Kate Bush along with songs by Ed Sheeran and country artists.

Smith said playing guitar is very therapeutic and feels like a real blessing. She recommends others try out the instrument. 

“Get a guitar, even if you’re just renting, and try it out with YouTube videos or Fender,” Smith said.

I just sat down, and I forced myself to learn that one song. By that point, my hands could do enough to make it more enjoyable.

— Sean Schierbecker

Sean Schierbecker, guitar teacher, learned how to play guitar through YouTube and was also inspired to learn from a band, Avenged Sevenfold. The first song Schierbecker learned was “Buried Alive” by Avenged Sevenfold.

“I was obsessed,” Schierbecker said. “I just sat down, and I forced myself to learn that one song. By that point, my hands could do enough to make it more enjoyable.”

Schierbecker said he also enjoys playing music from Metallica and Pink Floyd.

“Being able to create music by yourself is great and super fun. It’s really easy to collaborate with others, and you can bring a guitar anywhere,” Shierbecker said. 

Schierbecker said he believes everyone can give the guitar a shot by taking two simple steps.

“One, come take the class. Second, find a song that you’re passionate about, and find YouTube videos on how to play it,” Shierbecker said. “Three learning services are endless. Just find the one that fits you.” 

The instrument known as the guitar today is thousands of years old with a rich history of musical success and interest. (Media by Claire Lowder)