A&E
MHSNews | Kooyumjian Gallery: The Art of Others Perspectives
MHSNews | Kooyumjian Gallery: The Art of Other's Perspectives
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • May 7, 2024

Within Webster University's campus, the School of Communications houses a home for 2D works and photos from students and other artists, the Kooyumjian...

Blue Bell ice cream has arrived in St. Louis-area grocery stores. The brand originated in the South and is popular among many students and teachers. Their vanilla is their most popular flavor.
Get It While It's Cold
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 6, 2024

Last November, the Blue Bell Creameries brand announced they would be expanding their company’s dessert distribution to St. Louis and...

(Left) Octopus that used stippling. This style involves dotting in layers to show depth and shading. This piece was chosen by Kyle Devine. (Right) This is a portrait of Audrey Hepburn, a well-known British actress using various shading techniques. Rick Regina chose this piece for his award.
Student Wins Two Principals Choice Awards For Art
Willem Hummel and Elliott JorgensenMay 1, 2024

Ella Esposito, senior, was chosen twice for the first annual Art Show Principal’s Choice Award. “It was really exciting and kind of nerve-racking...

Comfort TV is usually watched in the comfort of your own home, like the living room on the couch.
MHS Embraces Comfort TV
Elizabeth Bahr, Staff Reporter • April 29, 2024

Ranging from sitcoms to dramas, people often have a comfort show that provides a sense of familiarity and warmth. For Ava Alavarez, freshman,...

MHSNews | Brand New Fire in the Hole Opens at Silver Dollar City
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 29, 2024

The Crestview Middle School music department visited Silver Dollar City on Saturday, April 27. Some students had the chance to ride the new version...

Review: The Tortured Poets Department

Media by Zoey Srote
The Tortured Poets Department was released in 4 additional vinyl variants, including “The Manuscript”, “The Bolter”, “The Albatross” (pictured) and “The Black Dog”.

Since its announcement at The Grammy Awards in February, “The Tortured Poets Department” (TTPD) by Taylor Swift has been highly anticipated. And then on Thursday, April 18, TTPD ” became the most pre-saved album in Spotify history.

This album, compiled of 16 brand-new tracks, released on Friday, April 19.

As a lifelong Taylor Swift fan, I have a special place in my heart for each of her albums. I was excited to listen to TTPD because based on the cover and several lyrics Swift’s team released throughout it’s promotion, I got the sense it would sound similar to her 2020 album “folklore,” which happens to be my favorite album from Swift.

After listening to the album and reading its lyrics countless times, here is a review of my top five songs from TTPD.

Fortnight (feat. Post Malone)

“Fortnight,” the first track and single of the album, depicts a story of a fleeting two-week long relationship. Swift starts the song by reflecting on the first stages of the relationship: “And for a fortnight there we were/ Forever running to you,” suggesting the feeling of being encapsulated by this relationship before realizing it would be short-lived. Further into the song, Swift describes a post-relationship resentment and insinuates she holds remaining feelings for the person who has moved on with the lyric, “Your wife waters flowers. I wanna kill her.” This is supported later, when Swift writes, “I love you, it’s ruining my life.”

This track sets the scene for an emotional album, as Swift is open in describing emotional attachment within the first three minutes. Post Malone is featured primarily as background vocals and during the chorus, similar to “Snow On The Beach (feat. Lana Del Rey)” from Swift’s album “Midnights,” where Swift ended up releasing a second version (feat. More Lana Del Rey). Fans could expect the same situation with this track.

Overall, I love the way this song has the sound of “Midnights” and the heart-wrenching storytelling aspect of “folklore,” which is why it made it into my top five tracks. Her lyrics are organic and realistic, as if there is nothing to hide about her raw emotions.

The Tortured Poets Department

This track is a great namesake for the album. The upbeat sound creates an interesting contrast with the sad, emotional and passionate lyrics. This song represents dedication to a loved one while they face their own struggles, shown through the lyrics, “But you’re in self-sabotage mode/ Throwing spikes down on the road/ But I’ve seen this episode and still loved the show” and “who’s gonna know you like me?”

While this song could easily be about a romantic relationship, parts of it also relate to friendships that have been strained even after giving them your everything. Even if you know everything about someone, have given them your love and been there for them, people are destined to grow apart in some way or another. Swift encapsulates this feeling perfectly in this song.

Florida!!! (feat. Florence + The Machine)

One of the main reasons why I loved this song is because it has a similar feel to Swift’s song “no body, no crime (feat. Haim)” from “evermore,” not only through the general sound of the song but through its lyrics, especially in verse two where Florence Welch sings, “All my girls got their lace and their crimes/ And your cheating husband disappeared, well/ No one asks any questions here.”

Despite the eerie tone of the song, there are some lyrics I relate to. “This city reeks of driving myself crazy” and “little did you know your home’s really only/ a town you’re just a guest in” perfectly describe feeling unfulfilled or unwelcome in your hometown. Swift has always had a poetic and powerful way with words, and her cryptic meanings truly allow people to connect with her on a deeper level.

Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me?

The first thing I noticed while listening to “Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me?” is that it reminds me of one of my favorite songs from “folklore,” “betty.” It is interesting to see how Swift relates to the characters she writes about. I see a parallel between the lyric from this song, “crash the party like a record scratch/ as I scream/ ‘who’s afraid of little old me?’” and “Yeah, I showed up at your party/ Will you have me? Will you love me?” from “betty.” There is a full 180 from the sweet and longing lyrics of “betty” to the angry and vengeful lyrics of “Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me?” while still having the same general idea.

Swift seems to be upfront about how people underestimate her. You can hear the bitterness and resentment in her voice as she sings, “Who’s afraid of little old me?/ Well, you should be,” throughout the track. I like how relatable this song is because it is common to be seen as less than your full potential, and this song shows how frustrating that can be.

Clara Bow

Swift’s elaborate and heartfelt lyrics are shown off in the final track of the album, “Clara Bow.” This song is about becoming yourself and being the person you have always strived to be. The song starts off by comparing Swift to Clara Bow, an American actress from the 1920s who became famous as a young teenager just as Swift did.

Later, Swift is compared to Stevie Nicks, and she writes “I’m not trying to exaggeratе/ But I think I might die if I made it, die if I made it/ No one in my small town thought I’d meet these suits in L.A.,” showing that being compared to these people brings out a longing for being just like the people she idolizes, while also expressing the doubt people had for her. After the bridge, Swift writes “You look like Taylor Swift” and “You’ve got edge, she never did/ The future’s bright, dazzling,” signifying that she has truly become her own person, just as she always wanted to.

The lyrics of this song are relatable and motivating at the same time, showing that your dreams can become a reality through dedication and believing in yourself.

TTPD has broken countless records within less than a week of its release, and I anticipate it will continue to do so because it is a beautifully written story with many great production and stylistic choices throughout. Swift’s writing never fails to impress me, and the way she is able to put words to seemingly indescribable feelings is something I could only dream of being able to do myself. This album is something I see myself listening to on repeat, and overall, I rate it a 10/10.