A&E
Journalism Writing & Reporting staff reporters review traditional candies with a twist.
Review: Traditional Candy With A Twist
Staff, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

MHS and sister school Lafayette hosted an annual art show on Saturday, April 20, at Lafayette.
MHSNews | Art Show Presents Student Art to Community
Adelyn Lievanos, Staff Reporter • May 21, 2024

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has had a pop culture impact like no other, and its 40th anniversary is this year. Follow the history - and future - of the franchise.
MHSNews | Ninja Turtles Celebrate 40 Years
Adelyn Lievanos, Staff Reporter • May 20, 2024

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has had a pop culture impact like no other, and its 40th anniversary is this year. Follow the history - and future...

In this episode of MHSNews Gaming, we talk about a select few games that had some very cute or unique art styles. Come with us on a journey of talking animals, evil time prophecies, and ridicuously tall mountains. Steady your eye and keep an eye out for the smallest of details in todays episode.
MHSNews | Gaming Ep. 11: Style Points
Myles Edgington, Online Publisher • May 17, 2024

In this episode of MHSNews Gaming, we talk about a select few games that had some very cute or unique art styles. Come with us on a journey of...

Adithya Chengalvala, sophomore, has spent years practicing his craft of Carnatic singing. With his drummer partner, Myan Sudharsanan, Adithya uses his music to connect spiritually with Indian classical culture.
Carnatic Singer Connects to His Culture
David Moss and Jack FavazzaMay 16, 2024

When Adithya Chengalvala, sophomore, lived in Bangalore, India, his mom pushed him to enter a singing competition. Chengalvala returned with...

Student Wins Two Principals Choice Awards For Art

%28Left%29+Octopus+that+used+stippling.+This+style+involves+dotting+in+layers+to+show+depth+and+shading.+This+piece+was+chosen+by+Kyle+Devine.+%28Right%29+This+is+a+portrait+of+Audrey+Hepburn%2C+a+well-known+British+actress+using+various+shading+techniques.+Rick+Regina+chose+this+piece+for+his+award.+
Media by Ella Esposito
(Left) Octopus that used stippling. This style involves dotting in layers to show depth and shading. This piece was chosen by Kyle Devine. (Right) This is a portrait of Audrey Hepburn, a well-known British actress using various shading techniques. Rick Regina chose this piece for his award.

Ella Esposito, senior, was chosen twice for the first annual Art Show Principal’s Choice Award.

“It was really exciting and kind of nerve-racking at the same time because a bunch of people would be looking at my art,” Esposito said. “It made me feel really proud after how many hours I put into my projects.”

Esposito was in the choir room at lunch when she found out she had been chosen for the Principal’s Choice Award. Each principal selected their favorite piece of work from the art show, with 7 total students being recognized by the 8 members of the admin team. The pieces of art that received the Principal’s Choice Award are set to be hung up in the Welcome Center. 

“It was really shocking and exciting,” Esposito said.

Esposito said she had three pieces in the art show: an octopus, a shoe which took her 18 hours and a portrait of Audrey Hepburn. Two of her three pieces were chosen for the Principal Choice Award.

For her octopus, chosen by Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine, Esposito said she used Sharpies to make it more vibrant and used an art form called stippling which involves dotting in layers to show depth and shading.

“I was trying to portray all the colors that the world has, and how vibrant certain things can be,” Esposito said. “Based on our perception and ideas, colors can range and change based on what the artist wants to do and not just what they are seeing.”

— Ella Esposito

Esposito also created a portrait of Audrey Hepburn, a well-known British actress using various shading techniques. Esposito said this piece, which Freshman Dr. Rick Regina chose, took her 27 to 30 hours to complete.

“I’ve always known her as a very elegant figure, and a lot of people, especially women look up to her for her elegance and her ability to be such a great actress and have such a well-known name,” Esposito said.

Esposito said she wanted to show how a piece of art does not need to be super complex and crowded to be beautiful.

“Sometimes it is as simple as just what somebody might be feeling when they are having their picture taken,” Esposito said.

Esposito said she plans to continue doing art on the side with commissions and ceramic pieces, but she is looking to go into architecture which will keep art in her life.

Melissa Wilson, art teacher, had Esposito in class for Drawing I. 

“I know she probably felt very validated because those pieces took her a very long time to finish.”

— Melissa Wilson

“I know she probably felt very validated because those pieces took her a very long time to finish,” Wilson said.

Wilson also liked the variety of choices from the admin.

Devine said he originally wanted to pick the piece of art that Dr. Regina chose. 

I saw this beautiful picture of this young lady, pencil drawing and I go, OK. I’ll go check out the other artwork and of course, Dr. Regina sneaks in there and takes my choice,” Devine said.

Devine ended up picking the colorful octopus, and as it turned out, that was also Esposito’s art. 

Dr. Regina was shocked by the meticulous detail of Esposito’s art. 

“I was absolutely awestruck by the amount of detail on a drawing,” Dr. Regina said. “It’s portrait quality.”