Superintendent Dr. Curtis Cain updates Rockwood high school student journalists on the Belonging Through a Culture of Dignity program on Monday, April 22. This training program is part of RSD’s long-term student success plan, The Way Forward, and is one of many new equity initiatives in the district.
"DEI" Disappearance: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programs Rebrand and Innovate
David Moss, News Editor • May 31, 2024

Equity at MHS Junior Lucas Tourinho, vice president of the Student Equity and Belonging Club, helps plan and organize many events throughout...

Nearly every bathroom stall in the building has graffiti. This graffiti was in the girls bathroom on the third floor A-wing.
Students, Admin Address Graffiti in Campus Bathrooms
Katelyn Skiles, Staff Reporter • May 28, 2024

Prairie Fleming, sophomore, marches down the second floor hallway, treading the same path of hundreds of students. She's heading to the bathroom...

Robin Craig, language arts teacher, has students in her Ac Lab to work together on projects. Ac Lab is a 90-minute period where students can catch up with missing assignments and tests.
Ac Lab Homerooms to be Assigned by Grade Level
Emily Chien, A&E Editor • May 25, 2024

At the start of every Ac Lab, Sophie Lane, junior, excitedly talks with her classmates and teacher, Jonah Boyd. “I feel like I’ve made...

Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

Regina Hosts Games During Lunch to Prepare for Hoco

Media by Justi
Students flip bottles as Dr. Regina commentates in today’s competition.

To prepare students for the upcoming Homecoming dance this Saturday, Sept. 23, Freshman  Principal Dr. Richard Regina is hosting a variety of games in every lunch shift during the week. 

“It gives kids a chance who normally wouldn’t jump out and do something to have the stage,” Dr. Regina said.

Dr. Regina said these games can get students outside of their comfort zone and even showcase their skills in front of the school. These games have ranged from eating an ice cream sandwich as quickly as possible on Monday and holding a plank longer than the other competitors on Tuesday to landing as many water bottle flips as possible on Wednesday and a dance-off on Friday. Thursday will feature Trivia Thursday as normal.

They’re just a way to remind students to have fun during Homecoming week,

— Dr. Rick Regina

The winners of each lunch game will be allowed to participate in the pep rally on Friday, Dr. Regina said. 

“They’re just a way to remind students to have fun during Homecoming week,” Dr. Regina said.

Dr. Regina said he enjoys hosting the competitions, but his favorite in particular was Tuesday’s planking competition. 

“It was awesome. The kids and staff all got into it,” Dr. Regina said. “That’s always what I want to see.”

Ethan Lenahan, junior, won the Wednesday water bottle flipping contest in fourth lunch, and said he appreciated the competition.

I think they’ve done a good job reminding people of Homecoming,

— Ethan Lenahan

“I think they’ve done a good job reminding people of Homecoming,” Lenahan said. 

Lenahan said the games increase anticipation for the upcoming dance. 

Anatoli Beyene, senior, said he enjoyed Wednesday’s contest as well.

“I’d like to play again,” Beyene said. “I thought I would be pretty scared and embarrassed to play, but while I kind of was, it was fun to do water bottle flips up on stage.”

Beyene also said he encourages other students to take part in this week’s lunch contests. He said they not only help excite students for Homecoming, but can also build confidence during the beginning of the school year. 

“Just raise your hand and play a game,” he said.