A&E
Are you tired of spending your money on lattes from coffee shops, well no more. In this video, you are going to learn how to make your very own latte.
How Do I?
Samantha Perz and Owen PleinMay 10, 2024

Linguistics club officer explores language Fluent in English and Chinese and currently learning Spanish and Haitian Creole,...

MHSNews | May Book Buzz: The Thursday Murder Club
MHSNews | May Book Buzz: 'The Thursday Murder Club'
Angel DiSalvo, Staff Reporter • May 9, 2024

In the May Book Buzz, Claire Katsev, Social Studies teacher, talks with Brittany Sharitz, librarian, about “The Thursday Murder Club” by...

MHSNews | Kooyumjian Gallery: The Art of Others Perspectives
MHSNews | Kooyumjian Gallery: The Art of Other's Perspectives
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • May 7, 2024

Within Webster University's campus, the School of Communications houses a home for 2D works and photos from students and other artists, the Kooyumjian...

Blue Bell ice cream has arrived in St. Louis-area grocery stores. The brand originated in the South and is popular among many students and teachers. Their vanilla is their most popular flavor.
Get It While It's Cold
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 6, 2024

Last November, the Blue Bell Creameries brand announced they would be expanding their company’s dessert distribution to St. Louis and...

(Left) Octopus that used stippling. This style involves dotting in layers to show depth and shading. This piece was chosen by Kyle Devine. (Right) This is a portrait of Audrey Hepburn, a well-known British actress using various shading techniques. Rick Regina chose this piece for his award.
Student Wins Two Principals Choice Awards For Art
Willem Hummel and Elliott JorgensenMay 1, 2024

Ella Esposito, senior, was chosen twice for the first annual Art Show Principal’s Choice Award. “It was really exciting and kind of nerve-racking...

MHS Embraces Comfort TV

Media by Elizabeth Bahr
Comfort TV is usually watched in the comfort of your own home, like the living room on the couch.

Ranging from sitcoms to dramas, people often have a comfort show that provides a sense of familiarity and warmth. For Ava Alavarez, freshman, the show “Avatar: The Last Airbender” on Netflix is one of her favorite comfort shows.

“Avatar: The Last Airbender” is a cartoon series that aired on Nickelodeon from 2005 to 2008. It follows a boy named Aang, the Avatar and his journey to master using all 4 of the elements: earth, fire, air, and water.

“It’s very childish and it’s just really nice to watch,” Alvarez said. “It’s got a nice style, and I really like it.”

Alvarez discovered this show when she was young and has since enjoyed watching it to relish in the comfort and nostalgia from her childhood.

Timothy Abney, world language teacher, has a roster of programs he enjoys watching, like “Mission Impossible” or “Star Trek” reruns.

“It could be as sophisticated as ‘Bewitched’ or as silly as the ‘Beverly Hillbillies’,” Abney said.

It could be as sophisticated as ‘Bewitched’ or as silly as the ‘Beverly Hillbillies’,

— Timothy Abney

He enjoys catching up on “Godzilla” on Pluto TV in the evening after watching the daily news.

“Godzilla” is a film franchise about a radiant reptilian monster named Godzilla who descended upon Tokyo in the 1950s. There are many films and television shows featuring Godzilla, all produced by Warner Bros.

“I can’t seem to get enough of ‘Godzilla’ now lately,” Abney said. “I always want to see how Godzilla turns out against the evil villains or if they can save Tokyo today.”

Abney also shares shows with his family.

“My family, who has known me for so long, knows these are the shows I watch,” Abney said. “Sometimes when there’s something that we know that everyone likes is on, we usually watch it together.”

After watching “The Good Place” seven times, Zoe Lalor, sophomore, labeled it her comfort TV show.

“The Good Place” aired on NBC from 2016 to 2020. It is a comedy which follows the main character, Eleanor Shellstrop, who finds herself in the afterlife, but discovers she’s there by mistake. Eleanor has to shed her old way of life to be contempt in her new one in The Good Place.

Lalor said during her free time in 2020, her interest in “The Good Place” on Netflix piqued and she placed the show on her list of favorites. The criteria to be met to become a comfort show usually after the third time watching it all the way through, Lalor said.