MHSNews | Inside The Seams Ep. 3: Katelyn Morgenthaler
Lani Hines and Lydia LangeApril 10, 2024

From picking up a lacrosse stick for the first time her freshman year to committing as a D2 athlete her junior year, Katelyn Morgenthaler shares...

MHSNews | Excess Heat Affects Track Season
Stephan Bosnjak, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024

The weather outside is starting to heat up already, and it is just the start of the track season. MHSNews spoke with Evan Voelker, Brady Lingafelter,...

Aaron Akin, junior, pitches against Northwest on Friday, March 29. Akin threw a no-hitter, a game in which the pitcher does not give up a single hit. (Media By Jennifer Akin)
Junior Throws Fourth No-Hitter in MHS History
Annabelle Miller and Justin SmallApril 3, 2024

Cheered on by excited spectators and parents, Aaron Akin, junior, threw the first no-hitter in a decade, and the fourth at MHS, at the varsity...

In addition to placing first in her division at the state archery competition, senior Sydney Sonn’s score of 514 set a new state record for the highest score in her USA Archery Junior Olympic Archery Development age division, females ages 18-21, for this indoor state competition.
Senior Takes First at State Archery Championship, Breaks Record
Kate Jesperson, Page Designer • April 3, 2024

Sydney Sonn, senior, inhales and exhales, releasing her final arrow. It whistles past her cheek and onto the target, earning the final points...

MHSNews | Girls Basketball Takes Home District Title
Lani Hines, Staff Reporter • April 2, 2024

Girls basketball took home the District Champion title after defeating Eureka in the District Championship game. With the final score of 51-47,...

Marquette Hockey to Face DeSmet in State Finals

The 2023-2024 varsity Marquette hockey team poses for a picture. (Media by Jeff Nebot)

Brock Wrisberg, senior, will play the game of his childhood dreams in front of a sellout crowd for the Challenge Cup.

Marquette hockey will make their third appearance in the finals today at Centene Center with 3,000 fans packing the stands and a State title on the line.

“We’re a public school. We’re not supposed to be here,” Wrisberg said. “Even though we are the one seed, we’re always the underdog. We have that chip on our shoulder and we’re gonna use that to our advantage tonight.”

We’re a public school. We’re not supposed to be here,

— Brock Wrisberg

Wrisberg said he’s playing for his grandpa in the crowd and his Minnesota relatives tuning in to watch the contest against defending champion DeSmet.

The senior is soaking in all the excitement. The team held their last practice last night and will sit down for their last team dinner before arriving at Centene, where they will spend their final hours together before puck drop.

“It’s gonna be awesome seeing all my friends and family coming in. But you know, at the end of the day, we’re doing this for the 20 guys on the ice and, but it is a cool little addition to have as well,” Wrisberg said.

The season has boiled down to this night and the atmosphere is sure to be electric, he said.

Signs around MHS draw attention to the hockey Challenge Cup Finals to be held at Centene Center at 8:30pm on Friday, March 1. (Media by Hailey Neuner)

“I think we have their number. We just got to get a couple goals early and then I think we’ll be good,” Wrisberg said.

Gary Tockman, head coach, said this team has been turning heads in high profile match-ups all season long.

“That type of competition for the full season makes you better prepared once the playoffs come. Being in the finals is an incredible accomplishment for any school, but more importantly, any public school,” Tockman said.

Marquette has faced DeSmet three times in the past six months, each resulting in a tie. Tockman said his guys are fired up to settle things on the ice tonight.

“That ‘getting kicked in the gut’ feeling doesn’t go away easily, so while we don’t dwell on it, we don’t forget it,” Tockman said.

Nine seniors will play their last high school game. Tockman said the seniors’ talent and work ethic is off the charts. He said they’ve set the bar high for underclassmen.

“We preach that each player is to leave the program in better shape than when they came in and I think that this Senior Class has accomplished that for sure,” Tockman said.

With the stress of the game and wild environment, keeping emotions in check and focusing on the small things that make the team special will be key in beating DeSmet, Tockman said.

This is Marquette’s third opportunity to play for the championship. It’s time to add our name to the Challenge Cup,

— Brian Eisenloeffel

Brian Eisenloeffel, vice president of the club board, said tickets sold almost instantly. Six hundred tickets will be offered in-person before game time tonight, and a free broadcast will be offered for those tuning in at home.
Eisenloeffel thanks parents and volunteers for making this once-in-a-lifetime match-up an invaluable experience for the program. The board has been hard at work this week promoting the game.

“There really isn’t a lot extra we have to do to make this something special. They all know this is a special opportunity. Many of these kids have been dreaming about this game since they were little kids,” he said.

A number of alumni are coming in to watch. Eisenloeffel said this game will only add to the proud tradition and encourage other young hockey players to be future Mustangs.

“This is Marquette’s third opportunity to play for the championship. It’s time to add our name to the Challenge Cup,” Eisenloeffel said.