Many teachers use surveys such as the one pictured at the start of a course so they know students preferred pronouns. A proposed Missouri bill would make it a felony for teachers to support students in social transitioning, including the use of pronouns other than the students assigned pronoun at birth.
Staff Shouldn't Be Punished for Supporting Students
Editorial BoardApril 15, 2024

A Missouri bill was introduced to the House Thursday, March 29, that could charge teachers and counselors who support students' social transitions...

Earlier this month, Taylor Swift took her jet from the Spirit of St. Louis Airport in Chesterfield to the St. Louis Airport in Cahokia Heights, taking 13 minutes, 2 tons of carbon emissions and $844 worth of fuel.
Taylor Swift Causes Needless Carbon Emissions
Aubrey Lacavich, Sports Editor • April 5, 2024

Eight hundred and twenty two celebrities flew into Las Vegas mid-February for the Super Bowl LVIII in their private jets. Among them was pop-star...

This comparison photo shows the hallway seating (left) verses the standard lockers (right). The expanded seating has outlets and USB plugs for charging.
Opinion: Remove the Lockers
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • March 14, 2024

In a school of more than 2,000 students, MHS students are rarely seen loitering around their lockers. This raises the question: does anyone use...

Most students have very busy schedules which can make time management a big struggle. By keeping a planner it can make it easier to visualize your tasks and can help in remembering what you need to get done.
Opinion: Students Should have Part Time Jobs
Morgan Siegel, Staff Reporter • March 4, 2024

As job openings increase, so does the need for employees. With total payroll employment rising from January 2023 to January 2024 by 42,100 jobs,...

Shelly Justins Black Literature class creates posters for Black History Month. Throughout the semester, the students will read literature written by Black authors. A similar class is the topic of controversy in the Francis Howell School District.
In Defense of Black Literature
Editorial BoardFebruary 12, 2024

Francis Howell North High School students organized a walk-out on Thursday, Jan. 18, in response to proposed changes to the curriculum of their...

Protect Sacred Lands to Uphold Culture

Media by Prashu Sidella
Tourists are ruining the natural beauty of Hawaii, and with the downfall of the island’s natural cleanliness comes the downfall of its Pacific Islander culture.

On my recent trip to the Hawaiian island of Oahu, I could not help but notice the negative environmental impacts caused by humans.

I drove around the countryside to better experience Hawaiian culture. I would always come across signs with big red letters that read, “Keep the country the country!”

This phrase confused me because there was no other context. Did people want Hawaii to continue to be its own authentic country and not a busy city? The more I thought about this idea, the more I started to support it.

Places like Hawaii are big tourist hot spots. A total of 788,931 visitors came to the Hawaiian Islands in March of 2022. Most people go to these Pacific Islands on vacation and don’t really care about the effects that they leave on these places.

One day, I was hiking up Diamond Head, a volcanic crater. As I was taking in the beautiful sights, I also saw trash all over the place. There were medical masks, water bottles, socks – you name it. To see historic places like these being polluted and trashed by people was very upsetting.

Keeping landscapes beautiful is not
the only reason we should leave places like Hawaii as they are. It is also important to preserve the state’s culture. If you drive to the North Shore of Oahu, you can experience true Hawaiian culture and learn a lot about how it once was.

To this day, there are still WWII bunkers, palaces and villages you can visit to experience the island’s rich history. This part of Oahu was calm compared to the city, and it still felt like an old Hawaiian village.

It is so important to preserve this culture and not industrialize Hawaii or force it to be like the rest of the mainland. How else will people learn about the culture of the Pacific Islands? We don’t need more strip malls, big chain restaurants or big factories taking over these beautiful islands.

They need to be left alone. We need to stop turning places with rich histories into tourist places and be more mindful about how we are treating our Earth. In honor of Asian American and Pacific Islander Month, we should learn more about these countries and see what we can do to preserve their cultures.

When vacationing this summer, I urge all of us to be more respectful to the places we visit and stop turning every place into our own personal playgrounds.