Superintendent Dr. Curtis Cain updates Rockwood high school student journalists on the Belonging Through a Culture of Dignity program on Monday, April 22. This training program is part of RSD’s long-term student success plan, The Way Forward, and is one of many new equity initiatives in the district.
"DEI" Disappearance: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programs Rebrand and Innovate
David Moss, News Editor • May 31, 2024

Equity at MHS Junior Lucas Tourinho, vice president of the Student Equity and Belonging Club, helps plan and organize many events throughout...

Nearly every bathroom stall in the building has graffiti. This graffiti was in the girls bathroom on the third floor A-wing.
Students, Admin Address Graffiti in Campus Bathrooms
Katelyn Skiles, Staff Reporter • May 28, 2024

Prairie Fleming, sophomore, marches down the second floor hallway, treading the same path of hundreds of students. She's heading to the bathroom...

Robin Craig, language arts teacher, has students in her Ac Lab to work together on projects. Ac Lab is a 90-minute period where students can catch up with missing assignments and tests.
Ac Lab Homerooms to be Assigned by Grade Level
Emily Chien, A&E Editor • May 25, 2024

At the start of every Ac Lab, Sophie Lane, junior, excitedly talks with her classmates and teacher, Jonah Boyd. “I feel like I’ve made...

Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year

Media by Justin Small
The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before the end of the year, sophomores were allowed to buy parking spots.

Typically reserved for juniors and seniors only, the process to secure a spot required student drivers to submit their driver’s license, insurance and the model and plate of their vehicle. Each spot cost $10 and 142 spots were sold. The money raised will serve as additional funding for the school. 

Jennifer Akin, Junior Class secretary, said providing this opportunity for sophomores allows them to try out parking before their junior year.

“Everyone’s always excited to drive to school, especially the sophomores, because they know there’s a lot at stake for them to be able to park,” Akin said. 

Akin said whether or not the school continues to offer sophomores spots in the coming years depends on when the Senior Class graduates.

“This year may have been the first time that we had two full weeks without that Senior Class here,” Akin said.

Keith Compton, sophomore, purchased a spot. He said it helped introduce him to the “craziness” of what parking will be like next year.

“It just gives them a good little preview of what will be happening next year,” Compton said.

Compton said the opening of new spots could benefit the school as a whole.

“I think it’s a good idea for the school to make some more money,” Compton said. “It’s a good opportunity overall for everyone, I think.”

“Maybe give juniors the opportunity to apply for a closer spot before they put the sophomores in senior spots.”

— Lucy Mercurio

Not every student is excited about the new spots, however.

While Lucy Mercurio, junior, has always found it challenging to get out of the student parking,  she said it has become especially difficult now.

“I’ve noticed that the lines are backed up trying to get out of the parking lot a lot more,” Mercurio said.

Mercurio said while the system is a good concept, offering spots to underclassmen should be revised if applied in the future because the senior spots are premiere spots.

“Maybe give juniors the opportunity to apply for a closer spot before they put the sophomores in senior spots,” Mercurio said.