MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

MHSNews | Science Bowl Team Buzzes Competition
Jack Favazza, Executive Producer • April 15, 2024

The Science Bowl team recently qualified for the national championship after winning the Missouri regional competition. The team, sponsored by...

After Spring Break, mirrors in MHS bathrooms were moved or removed. This is a way to protect students privacy since bathroom doors are now being propped open, Freshman Principal Kyle Devine said.
Bathroom Mirror Removal Frustrates Students
Morgan Siegel and Samantha PerzApril 11, 2024

Racquel Borland, sophomore, wakes up at 5:30 a.m. every morning to begin getting ready for school before she leaves to catch her bus at 6:40...

MHS Implements New Schedule Change Procedure

Anna+Speaker%2C+registrar%2C+hopes+to+see+a+more+fluent+schedule+change+process+with+the+new+procedure.+%E2%80%9CUnfortunately%2C+this+caused+students+to+come+in+and+change+their+schedules+two%2C+three%2C+four+or+five+times%2C%E2%80%9D+Speaker+said.+%E2%80%9CThey+would+change+it+and+change+it+again+which+is+a+huge+workload+on+the+counselors.%E2%80%9D+
Media by Claire Lowder
Anna Speaker, registrar, hopes to see a more fluent schedule change process with the new procedure. “Unfortunately, this caused students to come in and change their schedules two, three, four or five times,” Speaker said. “They would change it and change it again which is a huge workload on the counselors.”

In the past, changing one’s schedule only required students to fill out a Google form for their counselor or students could come into the Guidance Office and meet with their counselor. 

But, according to Anna Speaker, registrar, this caused some issues. 

“Unfortunately, this caused students to come in and change their schedules two, three, four or five times,” Speaker said. “They would change it and change it again which is a huge workload on the counselors.”

Now a new form must be filled out for every class a student wants to change and it must be signed by a parent or guardian. Once students have parent approval, they can make a counselor appointment and change their class. 

Last year, second-semester schedule changes also needed to be completed before the first semester ended, while first-semester schedule changes didn’t have to be completed until the third day of classes. To keep both semesters consistent, Speaker said this year the deadline for the second semester will be pushed to the third day of second semester. 

“This should fix the issues from last year,” Speaker said. 

Along with offering a longer period for students to change their schedule, it will keep parents aware of the classes their students intend to take,

— Mike Wegener

Associate Principal Dr. Mike Wegener said he hopes the new procedures keep parents involved with their children’s schedules. In the past, parents have expressed concern about their lack of involvement. 

“Along with offering a longer period for students to change their schedule, it will keep parents aware of the classes their students intend to take,” Wegener said.

Andrew McCray, junior, said he has had friends struggle with schedule changes in the past.

“I think it will put more pressure on their plate when this hassle could be avoided,” McCray said. 

But, he’s not happy with the changes this year.

“I think it’s pretty stupid that I need to print out a hard copy and have my parents sign it,” McCray said. “It’s so many extra steps that weren’t needed.”

Second semester starts Tuesday, Jan. 16, making the last day for students to switch classes Thursday, Jan. 18.