Superintendent Dr. Curtis Cain updates Rockwood high school student journalists on the Belonging Through a Culture of Dignity program on Monday, April 22. This training program is part of RSD’s long-term student success plan, The Way Forward, and is one of many new equity initiatives in the district.
"DEI" Disappearance: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programs Rebrand and Innovate
David Moss, News Editor • May 31, 2024

Equity at MHS Junior Lucas Tourinho, vice president of the Student Equity and Belonging Club, helps plan and organize many events throughout...

Nearly every bathroom stall in the building has graffiti. This graffiti was in the girls bathroom on the third floor A-wing.
Students, Admin Address Graffiti in Campus Bathrooms
Katelyn Skiles, Staff Reporter • May 28, 2024

Prairie Fleming, sophomore, marches down the second floor hallway, treading the same path of hundreds of students. She's heading to the bathroom...

Robin Craig, language arts teacher, has students in her Ac Lab to work together on projects. Ac Lab is a 90-minute period where students can catch up with missing assignments and tests.
Ac Lab Homerooms to be Assigned by Grade Level
Emily Chien, A&E Editor • May 25, 2024

At the start of every Ac Lab, Sophie Lane, junior, excitedly talks with her classmates and teacher, Jonah Boyd. “I feel like I’ve made...

Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

MHS Implements New Schedule Change Procedure

Anna+Speaker%2C+registrar%2C+hopes+to+see+a+more+fluent+schedule+change+process+with+the+new+procedure.+%E2%80%9CUnfortunately%2C+this+caused+students+to+come+in+and+change+their+schedules+two%2C+three%2C+four+or+five+times%2C%E2%80%9D+Speaker+said.+%E2%80%9CThey+would+change+it+and+change+it+again+which+is+a+huge+workload+on+the+counselors.%E2%80%9D+
Media by Claire Lowder
Anna Speaker, registrar, hopes to see a more fluent schedule change process with the new procedure. “Unfortunately, this caused students to come in and change their schedules two, three, four or five times,” Speaker said. “They would change it and change it again which is a huge workload on the counselors.”

In the past, changing one’s schedule only required students to fill out a Google form for their counselor or students could come into the Guidance Office and meet with their counselor. 

But, according to Anna Speaker, registrar, this caused some issues. 

“Unfortunately, this caused students to come in and change their schedules two, three, four or five times,” Speaker said. “They would change it and change it again which is a huge workload on the counselors.”

Now a new form must be filled out for every class a student wants to change and it must be signed by a parent or guardian. Once students have parent approval, they can make a counselor appointment and change their class. 

Last year, second-semester schedule changes also needed to be completed before the first semester ended, while first-semester schedule changes didn’t have to be completed until the third day of classes. To keep both semesters consistent, Speaker said this year the deadline for the second semester will be pushed to the third day of second semester. 

“This should fix the issues from last year,” Speaker said. 

Along with offering a longer period for students to change their schedule, it will keep parents aware of the classes their students intend to take,

— Mike Wegener

Associate Principal Dr. Mike Wegener said he hopes the new procedures keep parents involved with their children’s schedules. In the past, parents have expressed concern about their lack of involvement. 

“Along with offering a longer period for students to change their schedule, it will keep parents aware of the classes their students intend to take,” Wegener said.

Andrew McCray, junior, said he has had friends struggle with schedule changes in the past.

“I think it will put more pressure on their plate when this hassle could be avoided,” McCray said. 

But, he’s not happy with the changes this year.

“I think it’s pretty stupid that I need to print out a hard copy and have my parents sign it,” McCray said. “It’s so many extra steps that weren’t needed.”

Second semester starts Tuesday, Jan. 16, making the last day for students to switch classes Thursday, Jan. 18.