Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.
District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab
David Moss and Zoey SroteApril 24, 2024

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members...

A police officer parks on campus to survey the environment and as a safety precautions. The district increased police presence amidst a school shooting threat that was called into 911 on Sunday.
911 Threat Causes Students to Stay Home, Admin to Increase Security
Emily Chen and Shreya DasApril 22, 2024

The person responsible for yesterday's 911 threat against a Rockwood high school is still unknown. “Today we were alerted that the police...

MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

RSD Implements New Four-Year Course Selection Process

Media by Luke Graves
Students work in their Spanish 3 class with teacher Jocelyn Nebel Theiss.

The district is rolling out a new 4-year enrollment process this week in the hopes that it will improve the coordination of schedules between students, parents and staff. Students and parents will be able to access their children’s 4-year plans electronically through Infinite Campus.

Students were previously not given easy access to their plans, which were widely written down on a physical sheet of paper in eighth grade.

Katie Liebers, guidance counselor, said she hopes the newly implemented plan will aid students in effectively planning their current and future courses.

“Now, students and parents will be able to log in to Infinite Campus and make changes,” Liebers said. “It will also be accessible for a larger window of time throughout the school year.” 

As well as requesting preferred classes, alternate classes are also available for selection.

Freshmen will meet with counselors during biology class on November 15 and 16. Sophomores will meet on the week of December 11 during their social studies classes and juniors will meet during the week of January 15 during their Language Arts classes.

Alison Carroll, school counselor, joined the MHS staff this year. She quickly found a large number of students looking to change classes for various reasons.

Now, students and parents will be able to log in to Infinite Campus and make changes,

— Katie Liebers

“Some of them had good reasons,” Carroll said. “Some of them were just looking to change teachers or hours so that they could be with their friends.”

The new open system could limit the number of students flocking to counselors at the beginning of the year.

Tyler Scheidler, sophomore, said the enrollment process would benefit from a later deadline. 

“It would be better if they allowed you to choose your classes in the spring,” Scheidler said. 

He also agrees with the new plan that more liberty in changing classes is important. 

“I feel like it would be better if they allowed you to switch your classes after you select them,” Sceidler said.

Scheidler has been prioritizing classes that are important to graduation and college admissions.

“I tried to get classes like health out of the way, and then afterwards I can do any other classes I’m interested in,” Scheidler said.