The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.
Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 21, 2024

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before...

At any given time, students can be found in the Library or in a classroom on their phone, sometimes while also on another screen such as their Chromebook.
Hard Habit to Break
Willem Hummel and Gwyn MathusMay 17, 2024

Gianna Kensy, sophomore, said she often feels peer pressure to constantly post on social media. “On Snapchat, it's mainly you wanna say...

On Friday night, the northern lights were visible within miles of MHS.
Look Up
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 15, 2024

Parker Goltzman, freshman, was in Malinmor, Missouri, celebrating his dad’s birthday on Friday, May 10. “I was outside with my family...

Katy Drissell, American Sign Language teacher, leads her ASL 1 in signing about the weather on Wednesday, May 15.
District Adds American Sign Language 3 to Course Offerings
Morgan Siegel, Staff Reporter • May 15, 2024

Ever since she learned the alphabet in American Sign Language (ASL) in elementary school, Payton Smith, senior, has been interested in the language.  Smith...

RSD Implements New Four-Year Course Selection Process

Media by Luke Graves
Students work in their Spanish 3 class with teacher Jocelyn Nebel Theiss.

The district is rolling out a new 4-year enrollment process this week in the hopes that it will improve the coordination of schedules between students, parents and staff. Students and parents will be able to access their children’s 4-year plans electronically through Infinite Campus.

Students were previously not given easy access to their plans, which were widely written down on a physical sheet of paper in eighth grade.

Katie Liebers, guidance counselor, said she hopes the newly implemented plan will aid students in effectively planning their current and future courses.

“Now, students and parents will be able to log in to Infinite Campus and make changes,” Liebers said. “It will also be accessible for a larger window of time throughout the school year.” 

As well as requesting preferred classes, alternate classes are also available for selection.

Freshmen will meet with counselors during biology class on November 15 and 16. Sophomores will meet on the week of December 11 during their social studies classes and juniors will meet during the week of January 15 during their Language Arts classes.

Alison Carroll, school counselor, joined the MHS staff this year. She quickly found a large number of students looking to change classes for various reasons.

Now, students and parents will be able to log in to Infinite Campus and make changes,

— Katie Liebers

“Some of them had good reasons,” Carroll said. “Some of them were just looking to change teachers or hours so that they could be with their friends.”

The new open system could limit the number of students flocking to counselors at the beginning of the year.

Tyler Scheidler, sophomore, said the enrollment process would benefit from a later deadline. 

“It would be better if they allowed you to choose your classes in the spring,” Scheidler said. 

He also agrees with the new plan that more liberty in changing classes is important. 

“I feel like it would be better if they allowed you to switch your classes after you select them,” Sceidler said.

Scheidler has been prioritizing classes that are important to graduation and college admissions.

“I tried to get classes like health out of the way, and then afterwards I can do any other classes I’m interested in,” Scheidler said.