Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.
District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab
David Moss and Zoey SroteApril 24, 2024

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members...

A police officer parks on campus to survey the environment and as a safety precautions. The district increased police presence amidst a school shooting threat that was called into 911 on Sunday.
911 Threat Causes Students to Stay Home, Admin to Increase Security
Emily Chen and Shreya DasApril 22, 2024

The person responsible for yesterday's 911 threat against a Rockwood high school is still unknown. “Today we were alerted that the police...

MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

St. Louis Storytelling Festival Comes to MHS Library

Crom Saunders, a performer, presenter, writer and teacher who speaks ASL, will present to first and third hour classes Thursday.
Media by Willem Hummel
Crom Saunders is coming to the library on Thursday, Oct. 19, during first and third periods to perform comedy and storytelling. Teachers signed up their classes or individual students could sign up in advance to attend.

Jennifer Shipp, Language arts teacher has survived a stroke and six bouts of cancer, and for this reason she wants to encourage empathy toward others situations.

This is why Shipp said she is taking her class to see Crom Saunders, a deaf professor, comedian and performer on Thursday, Oct. 19, in the library.

“Making them more aware of what it’s like to have the disabilities that he has, give them an appreciation of what they have, and also an understanding and hopefully more empathy towards others,” Shipp said. “It is very easy to stay in your comfort zone and we take a lot of things for granted, and I think it is important to see that not everybody has what we have.”

Shipp said seeing Saunders’ performance relates to the language arts curriculum because in language arts students need to put themselves into characters’ perspectives.

“Creating or capturing the idea of human nature is an essential part of language arts,” Shipp said. “There is always something to be learned, and there is always a takeaway from someone else’s perspective and story.”

My initial thinking when just requesting for a storyteller in general was to share the joy of storytelling, especially when it is presented live, it brings a different element to storytelling and people’s understanding of narratives and how you can share your personal experience.

— Raymond Holmes

Katy Drissell, American Sign Language teacher, is also planning to take her class to see Saunders so her students can be exposed to a deaf person.

Drissell said Saunders will only be signing during his performance, with some interpreters.

“He is going to be doing some deaf poetry, and poetry is very important to deaf culture,” Drissell said.

Raymond Holmes, librarian, said Saunders’ work focuses on his personal experience and how pop culture and deaf culture play a role in shaping who he is.

Holmes said Saunders is coming to MHS as a part of the St. Louis storytelling festival, something the St. Louis County Public Library holds every year. The library hosts storytellers, but also helps schools get in touch with them.

Other storytellers have visited other RSD schools in the past, but this is the first time MHS has had the opportunity to have a storyteller visit, Holmes said.

“My initial thinking when just requesting for a storyteller in general was to share the joy of storytelling, especially when it is presented live,” Holmes said. “It brings a different element to storytelling and people’s understanding of narratives and how you can share your personal experience.”

Creating or capturing the idea of human nature is an essential part of language arts, there is always something to be learned, and there is always a takeaway from someone else’s perspective and story.

— Jennifer Shipp

Holmes said he was even more excited when he learned the storyteller visiting was Crom Saunders.

“His perspective is very unique to what a lot of students might hear about on a day-to-day basis here at Marquette,” Holmes said.

Rebecca Blindauer, theater teacher, also plans to take her class to see Saunders.

“Seeing as he is a storyteller, which is what theater is, just telling stories,” Blindauer said. “Having an opportunity to see someone who tells a story in a different way than traditional theater I think could be really cool.”