False Fire Alarm at MHS

Aubrey Lacavich

More stories from Aubrey Lacavich

Elle Devous

More stories from Elle Devous

Students+evacuated+the+building+Tuesday+due+to+a+faulty+sensor+in+the+kitchens+that+triggered+the+fire+alarm.+Firefighters+were+automatically+contacted+and+arrived+at+the+school+shortly+after+the+evacuation.+

Media by Elle Devous

Students evacuated the building Tuesday due to a faulty sensor in the kitchens that triggered the fire alarm. Firefighters were automatically contacted and arrived at the school shortly after the evacuation.

Alexa Nelson, junior, was developing a picture in the dark room when the fire alarm unexpectedly went off yesterday afternoon during fifth hour. 

Her pictures got exposed to white light and were ruined after she had to use the dark room’s emergency exit. The exit, which was installed last school year, has never been used prior to this evacuation.

“It kind of took me by surprise, but I was mostly just confused,” Nelson said.

Nelson’s photography class was split into two groups. Abbey. Gradle, photography teacher, showed the students in the dark room out and then went back into the classroom to walk out with the rest of the class. 

I understand that students will try to take advantage of a situation, although I don’t approve,”

— Ed Bolton

The cause of the fire alarm was a faulty sensor in the kitchen that went off after all lunch periods had ended.  The sensor alerted the fire alarms, which automatically contacts the fire department. Maintenance workers communicated with the fire department, identified the sensor and replaced it. 

Due to the unscheduled fire alarm, the drill scheduled for Tuesday, October 11 is canceled. 

Edward Bolton’s 5th hour Honors Chemistry class was interrupted during a test by the fire alarm. The evacuation gave students an opportunity to discuss the test and they were not discreet about it, Bolton said. 

“I understand that students will try to take advantage of a situation, although I don’t approve,” Bolton said.

Those who finished the test before the alarm were allowed to turn it in, while those who didn’t, now have to retake a new assessment during Ac Lab.

The staff responded properly and we learned a few things that will ensure that we do it more effectively in the event of another evacuation event,”

— Kyle Devine

Anvi Rani, sophomore, was in Bolton’s 5th hour when the alarm went off. She finished her test before the interruption and was allowed to turn it in. 

“There were some people talking about the test, so Bolton was definitely upset,” Rani said.

Freshman Principal Kyle Devine talked to the fire department as soon as they arrived.

“We want our students and staff to feel safe in our building and so it is important that after every evacuation event our administrators meet to discuss where we can improve our procedures,” Devine said.

They noticed that students were blocking the fire lane during the evacuation. Fire trucks were able to safely reach the school; although for future evacuations and drills, students are expected to stay on the grass, leaving the fire lane open for first responders. 

“The staff responded properly and we learned a few things that will ensure that we do it more effectively in the event of another evacuation event,” Devine said.