Lauren Steidtmann, sophomore, is an only child but thinks  birth order influences how children grow up. “I think that birth order definitely changes the expectations that parents put on you and how you’re expected to perform, both in school and in other responsibilities,” Steidtmann said.
What Does Birth Order Say About You?
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

As an only child, Lauren Steidtmann, sophomore, grew up around adults instead of kids. “I always talked to adults, so I was always really...

Luis Miranda Hernandez, freshman, works on an assignment in his Spanish 2 class. Miranda Hernandez speaks Spanish at home and plans to take Heritage Spanish next year.
Heritage Spanish Classes to be Added Next Year
Luke Graves, Business Manager • May 22, 2024

Next year, Spanish Heritage classes will be offered for the first time. The classes will have two levels and will involve students who grew up...

Equine Assisted Therapy involves the use of horses to develop cognitive skills, empathy, and teamwork to name a few. Equine therapy is suitable for all demographics.
Equine Therapy Offers Alternative to Traditional Therapy
Tessa Autery, Staff Reporter • May 22, 2024

Cassidy Kerber, freshman, has lived at a barn for her entire life. She spends her days in the stables riding, walking and grazing horses. “Whenever...

Cristal Strate, FBLA sponsor, announces the club members who will be going to nationals for the Prepared Project competition. Freshmen Miridul Soupramanien, Harshith Akurati and Vibhav Chinta competed in the Intros to Programming project.
FBLA Students Go to Nationals
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 10, 2024

Several students in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) will travel to Nationals in Orlando, Florida, on Friday, June 28, as part of the...

Opinion: Embrace Change

Media by Layla Shockley
Graduation is a bittersweet moment for many seniors. Many grads feel like they are losing their childhood and leaving meaningful connections behind. But, the silver-lining is the growth and experience that lie ahead of you.

My entire life will change in a week, and so will the lives of the 575 other seniors I’ve gone to school with for the past four years. 

I’ve had almost the same schedule for the past 12 years: wake up at 6 a.m., go to school, then dance, then bed at 11pm. I’ve danced with the same group of girls since the age of 6, gone to school with people I’ve known since kindergarten, and lived in the same house since I was born. 

My twin that I see everyday will be a couple hours away from me, across the state, causing the car rides and late night talks to become scarce. For me, everything will change next year.   

We are taught at the elementary school age that school is your job and you must be diligent to ultimately receive your diploma senior year. We work hard for a single piece of paper that sums up the past 13 years of our lives. 

I think that’s crazy. 

My childhood, my youth and the only thing I’ve ever known will be over in a matter of weeks. Everything I have learned will be put to the test. 

Will I pass or fail at the game of life? 

Have I worked hard enough? 

Will I be successful? 

I’m not sure what the answers to those questions are, and it scares me. The rest of my life is supposed to start on Saturday, May 11. I have 2 days to process that my childhood is over and I will actually be an adult. 

This change has caused a fair amount of tears and a wide range of emotions, but I know I will be okay. It’s normal to be scared of change, especially one of this magnitude. As much as I’m sad to leave this comforting routine behind and quite frankly terrified of what the future will hold, I’m trying to embrace this change. 

Looking ahead, I will make close friends in college, tons of lasting memories and I’ll get to learn about what I’m interested in. My future is now in my hands and it’s exciting to think about the freedom that comes with graduation. So many wonderful things are in store for me.The only thing to do moving forward is to be positive. 

Change is scary, but so are a lot of things. Our class has gone through many obstacles and has survived, so going to college can’t be that hard. Challenges, mistakes and difficult situations make us stronger and smarter. So while I’m afraid and sad to leave, I’m ready for this change and all the opportunities that come with it.