Cristal Strate, FBLA sponsor, announces the club members who will be going to nationals for the Prepared Project competition. Freshmen Miridul Soupramanien, Harshith Akurati and Vibhav Chinta competed in the Intros to Programming project.
FBLA Students Go to Nationals
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 10, 2024

Several students in Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) will travel to Nationals in Orlando, Florida, on Friday, June 28, as part of the...

Many students use filler words when they communicate without realizing it. “For a person who’s listening to you, it can undermine your message and your confidence level so that you don’t look as though you are prepared,” Cate Sanazaro, language arts teacher, said.
It's, Like, a Habit I Guess
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • May 8, 2024

When Madison Cook, sophomore, speaks to others, her sentences are full of filler words. “I get really nervous when I’m talking and just...

Labadie Energy Center is the largest coal-powered power plant in the St. Louis region. It began operating in 1973.
In-Depth: Path to Power
Aubrey Lacavich and David MossMay 8, 2024

For Yaw Oduro, freshman, electricity wasn’t always as simple as flicking a switch. Oduro was born in South Africa and lived there for 14...

Each spring, the Community Service class creates posters to display the colleges that seniors will be attending in the fall.
How Seniors Prepared for College Admission Deadline
Zoey Srote, Staff Reporter • May 8, 2024

May 1 was college decision day. A majority of colleges across the country require students to make a decision on whether to accept or decline...

Opinion: Embrace Change

Media by Layla Shockley
Graduation is a bittersweet moment for many seniors. Many grads feel like they are losing their childhood and leaving meaningful connections behind. But, the silver-lining is the growth and experience that lie ahead of you.

My entire life will change in a week, and so will the lives of the 575 other seniors I’ve gone to school with for the past four years. 

I’ve had almost the same schedule for the past 12 years: wake up at 6 a.m., go to school, then dance, then bed at 11pm. I’ve danced with the same group of girls since the age of 6, gone to school with people I’ve known since kindergarten, and lived in the same house since I was born. 

My twin that I see everyday will be a couple hours away from me, across the state, causing the car rides and late night talks to become scarce. For me, everything will change next year.   

We are taught at the elementary school age that school is your job and you must be diligent to ultimately receive your diploma senior year. We work hard for a single piece of paper that sums up the past 13 years of our lives. 

I think that’s crazy. 

My childhood, my youth and the only thing I’ve ever known will be over in a matter of weeks. Everything I have learned will be put to the test. 

Will I pass or fail at the game of life? 

Have I worked hard enough? 

Will I be successful? 

I’m not sure what the answers to those questions are, and it scares me. The rest of my life is supposed to start on Saturday, May 11. I have 2 days to process that my childhood is over and I will actually be an adult. 

This change has caused a fair amount of tears and a wide range of emotions, but I know I will be okay. It’s normal to be scared of change, especially one of this magnitude. As much as I’m sad to leave this comforting routine behind and quite frankly terrified of what the future will hold, I’m trying to embrace this change. 

Looking ahead, I will make close friends in college, tons of lasting memories and I’ll get to learn about what I’m interested in. My future is now in my hands and it’s exciting to think about the freedom that comes with graduation. So many wonderful things are in store for me.The only thing to do moving forward is to be positive. 

Change is scary, but so are a lot of things. Our class has gone through many obstacles and has survived, so going to college can’t be that hard. Challenges, mistakes and difficult situations make us stronger and smarter. So while I’m afraid and sad to leave, I’m ready for this change and all the opportunities that come with it.