A&E
MHSNews | Skateport Plaza Offers Hangout Spot for All Ages
Angel DiSalvo, Staff Reporter • February 28, 2024

Skateport Plaza, located at 408 Weidman Rd, Manchester, MO 63011, has been running since 1991. It is a wonderful place for people of all ages...

MHSNews | Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Retrospective
Elliott Jorgensen and Harsh BainsFebruary 28, 2024

Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer and guest Harsh Bains discuss the 2005 film 'Final Fantasy VII Advent Children' after its 2024 re-release....

MHSNews | February Book Buzz: ‘Chaos Theory’
Jack Favazza, Executive Producer • February 23, 2024

In the February Book Buzz, Beth Collier, SSD teacher, talks with Brittany Sharitz, librarian, about "Chaos Theory" by Nic Stone. The book explores...

MHSNews | Inside The Seams Ep. 2: Jenna King
Lani Hines and Tessa AuteryFebruary 23, 2024

Second year Head Coach, Jenna King, dives in deeper with how she rose to become head coach of Marquette Girls Soccer. After leading her team...

MHSNews | Inside the Seams Ep. 1: John Meyer
Lani Hines and Elliott JorgensenFebruary 15, 2024

Coach John Meyer, member of the St. Louis and Missouri Coaching Hall of Fame, elaborates on "Inside The Seams" of the upcoming 2024 Marquette...

MTC Present Senior One Acts

Bryson Weaver, senior, stands beneath the theater stage directing as his dreams manifest into reality. Weaver is directing one of the two Senior One Acts, a show of a single act directed by a senior.

Weaver’s show is “Do Not Go Gentle” and is based around a poem with a stern undertone and hint of comedy.  

“I’ve read this show many times before, so it felt right,” Weaver said. “The show hits home in so many ways, so being able to put my vision of the show on without anyone else telling me how to do it is absolutely awesome.”

Allie Lappin, junior, rehearses with Corbin Garrett, freshman, for “I Quit,” one of the two One Acts that will run this Thursday and Friday. Both actors play multiple roles in the same One Act. (Media by Angel DiSalvo)

Senior One Acts will run 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 1, and Friday, Feb. 2, in the Theater. Tickets are available at the door for $5.

To direct One Acts the senior has to be in a directing class. The process involves writing a paper on the show idea and revising it through to approval. 

“It’s a dream come true. I’ve always wanted to direct a show,” Weaver said.

Three days after Weaver performed in MTC’s Footloose in December, he held auditions for his one act. Weaver said directing is absolutely incredible.

“I’m very, very proud of not just my actors, but also myself. I’m very joyful, just about the situation,” Weaver said. “And I’m also very excited. This is the first show I get to direct, hopefully many more to come.”

Sally Armstrong, sophomore, is participating in “Do Not be Gentle” as the granddaughter named Kelly. Armstrong said the One Acts are a way to have fun with the graduating seniors. 

Corbin Garrett, freshman, dramatically talks about the perfect sandwich during a scene from “I Quit.” (Media by Angel DiSalvo)

“I would like to participate every year,” Armstrong said. “You get to bond with some of the theater people and it’s not as serious as a full production.”

Nova Sanders, junior, plays a manager, customer and pirate in the one act “I Quit,” directed by senior Aria Garrett. 

“At rehearsals we run through the act once, then get and give feedback on things we should change or improve on,” Sanders said. “It’s just a short, little practice to figure out our lines and placements.”

“I’ll definitely do this again next year,” Sanders said. “I like that Instead of having extra dialogue, it’s more focused on having fun.”

Paige Zimmerman, junior, rehearses a parody of the song “Total Eclipse of the Heart.” In the One Act “I Quit,” the version of the song is called “Totally Quitting This Job.” (Media by Angel DiSalvo)

Paige Zimmerman, junior, was cast in “I Quit.” She’s loved the experience and has been wanting to be a part of the performance the whole year. 

“The best part about the show is getting to hang out with all the cast,” Zimmerman said. “It’s been really enjoyable and worthwhile.”