MHSNews | Inside The Seams Ep. 3: Katelyn Morgenthaler
Lani Hines and Lydia LangeApril 10, 2024

From picking up a lacrosse stick for the first time her freshman year to committing as a D2 athlete her junior year, Katelyn Morgenthaler shares...

MHSNews | Excess Heat Affects Track Season
Stephan Bosnjak, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024

The weather outside is starting to heat up already, and it is just the start of the track season. MHSNews spoke with Evan Voelker, Brady Lingafelter,...

Aaron Akin, junior, pitches against Northwest on Friday, March 29. Akin threw a no-hitter, a game in which the pitcher does not give up a single hit. (Media By Jennifer Akin)
Junior Throws Fourth No-Hitter in MHS History
Annabelle Miller and Justin SmallApril 3, 2024

Cheered on by excited spectators and parents, Aaron Akin, junior, threw the first no-hitter in a decade, and the fourth at MHS, at the varsity...

In addition to placing first in her division at the state archery competition, senior Sydney Sonn’s score of 514 set a new state record for the highest score in her USA Archery Junior Olympic Archery Development age division, females ages 18-21, for this indoor state competition.
Senior Takes First at State Archery Championship, Breaks Record
Kate Jesperson, Page Designer • April 3, 2024

Sydney Sonn, senior, inhales and exhales, releasing her final arrow. It whistles past her cheek and onto the target, earning the final points...

MHSNews | Girls Basketball Takes Home District Title
Lani Hines, Staff Reporter • April 2, 2024

Girls basketball took home the District Champion title after defeating Eureka in the District Championship game. With the final score of 51-47,...

MHS Varsity Cheer Places 8th Overall in Universal Cheerleaders Association Nationals

The varsity cheer team attended the Universal Cheerleaders Association national competition in Orlando, where they placed 8th overall. (Media by Michelle Wilson)

​​For Ava Bloyd, senior, traveling to the Universal Cheerleaders Association national competition in Orlando is her favorite part of the MHS cheer program.

“I love traveling with my friends and getting to perform in front of such a huge crowd,” Bloyd said.

The MHS Cheer program has attended this competition seven times throughout its history. In 2019, the team first qualified for finals. They repeated that this year, making it to finals for their Game Day competition. The team placed 8th overall.

More than 1,000 teams participated in the competition, with more than 30 teams in their division.

Even when Bloyd thinks about performing on the biggest stage for high school cheerleaders around the country, she said she tends to appreciate the smaller moments.

Some of my favorite moments from Nationals are the smaller moments like getting ready with my teammates and going out to dinner because it’s fun to spend time together outside of practice,

— Ava Bloyd

“Some of my favorite moments from Nationals are the smaller moments like getting ready with my teammates and going out to dinner because it’s fun to spend time together outside of practice,” Bloyd said.

Because this was her last time going to Nationals, she said it was important for her to take in every moment. She is still undecided about whether she will continue cheerleading, but she would like to if the opportunity arises.

Elizabeth Basta, program coach, said to advance to the next round of competition, the team must meet certain criteria depending on the competition.

It felt amazing. We were all so excited, and we were hugging each other,

— Riley Wilson

“There’s two competitions that we have: there’s a Traditional and then there’s Game Day. For Traditional, there are certain requirements on a judge’s sheet that we have, like cheering, stunting and tumbling. We have to hit all of those markings,” Basta said, “ For Game Day, it’s a different routine. It’s based off of crowd performance, sharpness, more like what you do at a football game and spirit,”

Riley Wilson, sophomore, said this was her first time going to the competition. Her favorite part of the trip was advancing to finals and celebrating with her team.

“It felt amazing. We were all so excited, and we were hugging each other,” Wilson said.