Softball Wins Quarterfinals, Heads to State

The+softball+team+meets+before+the+start+of+the+Quarterfinals+game+on+Oct.+20+at+MHS.+The+team+faced+Oakville+tigers.+
The softball team meets before the start of the Quarterfinals game on Oct. 20 at MHS. The team faced Oakville tigers.

Photographed by Marta Mieze

Photographed by Marta Mieze

One game. Two teams. Six innings. Now heading to State once again.

Yesterday, Oct. 20, softball competed against Oakville Tigers in Quarterfinals at MHS. Mustangs won 12-2 and are heading to State next week.

Senior Annah Junge, pitcher, said the game had a bumpy start with Tigers scoring two runs in the first inning. However, during the fourth inning, the Mustangs came back with three runs, making it 3-2.

“We were able to come back and overcome that adversity,” Junge said.

The Tigers didn’t score any more runs the whole game and during the fifth inning the Mustangs scored seven runs, one of which was a homerun by Senior Tabby Cacheris, catcher.

Junge said going into the game she was thinking ahead to Springfield in the back of her mind even though the team tries not to overlook teams.

She said to prepare for the game, the team practiced everyday and she, individually stayed after practice with Cacheris to practice her pitching, while also visualizing plays at night.

Junge said she hopes to come out with the team as State champions again, just like last year when the team won 2-0 against Blue Spring South.

“I think I am a lot stronger this year, both mentally and physically,” Junge said. “It’s been a different dynamic, this team compared to last. I think this year we had to work a little harder.”

The team’s work ethic and passion for the sport, Junge said, will help the team to achieve the results they want at State.

“We are able to have a lot of fun together, once we get comfortable in the game, and also just come together and support one another,” Junge said.

Amy Doyle, varsity head coach, said the team was very focused on winning this game because they knew Oakville has a great team who beat them earlier in the season.

When it comes to comparing to last season, Doyle said it is more important to look forward.

“We preach at MHS softball to look forward and to live in the moment” Doyle said. “I think we are in a good position where we are.”

She said Junge’s pitching was one of the biggest strengths in this game, as well as the team’s consistent hitting throughout.

Looking forward to State, Doyle said she hopes the team feels like winners, regardless of the results, as long as they play their best because making it so far is already a big accomplishment.

“[We can] take care of what we can control and focus on the process and not the result, and the result will ultimately come,” Doyle said.

Seniors of the team have won districts all four years, which Doyle said makes her very proud.

“They are just really good kids to be around,” Doyle said.

The team will face Blue Spring South Jaguars again this year in Semifinals on Oct. 26 in Springfield at 11 a.m.

About the Contributor
Marta Mieze, Copy Editor

Marta Mieze, junior, is excited to return to the Marquette Messenger this year, as the Copy Editor. Marta was born in Latvia and moved to the U.S. five...