Q & A: Resource Officer Works PGA Championship

The 100th Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA) Championship took place from Aug. 9-12 at Bellerive Country Club, eight miles from MHS. Multiple members of the MHS community witnessed the event, but School Resource Officer Steve Aspinall was not a member of the crowd. Aspinall’s supervisor, one of the main planners for security at the tournament, offered him the opportunity to work as security for the Championship.

Q: What did you do at the PGA Championship?

A: I was Tiger Woods’ personal protection for his final round. I just made sure no one jumped on the wrong side of the ropes, made sure he made his round safely without anyone grabbing him.

Q: What can you say about your time as personal protection?

A: I enjoyed it. It was neat seeing [the Championship] from a different perspective. You know, usually you’re with all the crowds. This time around [I was] walking inside the ropes with the golfer, walking down the fairway, just seeing it from a whole different viewpoint.

Q: How many days did you work and how did you spend this time?

A: I worked four days, but only Sunday with Tiger Woods. I worked on the grounds on Tuesday and then I was Traffic Control the other two. Tuesday I watched a little bit of the tournament before the rain came in.

Q: What was the atmosphere like at the PGA Championship?

Very electric, very loud. Around Tiger Woods the crowds were very vocal, folks screaming and yelling, almost like a party atmosphere.

Q: Did you enjoy working the Championship?

A: Even though I was not able to enjoy it like a regular spectator because I was more worried about making sure Tiger Woods was safe, it was still enjoyable.

Q: What was your favorite part?

A: Walking down the 18th fairway with everyone cheering was a neat experience. Even though I knew they weren’t cheering for me.

Q: What is the biggest thing you took away from working the Championship?

A: The camaraderie between the players was more than I expected. Behind the scenes they were all joking, laughing, just having a good time. Usually when you see them out on the course they’re all business, more serious, but once they’re done golfing, they’re just regular people.

Q: Would you do it again?

A: Absolutely. In a heartbeat.

About the Writer
Alyssa Shellabarger, Staff Reporter
Alyssa Shellabarger, junior, is a Staff Reporter for the Messenger. She is also a member of the track team and an officer of Key Club. Outside of school she dances at Carol Bowman Academy of Dance. When Alyssa isn’t doing homework she is usually reading, writing, dancing, or baking.