MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

MHSNews | Science Bowl Team Buzzes Competition
Jack Favazza, Executive Producer • April 15, 2024

The Science Bowl team recently qualified for the national championship after winning the Missouri regional competition. The team, sponsored by...

After Spring Break, mirrors in MHS bathrooms were moved or removed. This is a way to protect students privacy since bathroom doors are now being propped open, Freshman Principal Kyle Devine said.
Bathroom Mirror Removal Frustrates Students
Morgan Siegel and Samantha PerzApril 11, 2024

Racquel Borland, sophomore, wakes up at 5:30 a.m. every morning to begin getting ready for school before she leaves to catch her bus at 6:40...

Faculty, Staff Announce End-of-Year Retirements

Media by Elliott Jorgensen
Matt Del Pizzo, social studies teacher, explains an assignment to his AP World History class. Del Pizzo and his wife, Lisa Del Pizzo, science teacher, are retiring after this school year.

As the Class of 2024’s high school career comes to an end, so do those of some of their teachers.

Lisa Del Pizzo, science teacher, has been teaching for 29 years at MHS and is among, as of now, six teachers retiring after this school year.

While Del Pizzo said she treasured her interactions with all her students, her passion extended beyond the traditional classroom, finding fulfillment as the sponsor for the Health Occupational Students of America (HOSA). HOSA helps future health professionals develop essential skills through chapter activities and competitions. Dr. Cathy Farrar will sponsor HOSA after Del Pizzo retires.

“I love taking my HOSA students on fun trips to their international competitions and seeing their successes,” Del Pizzo said. “It’s also always heartening to hear about graduates’ successes in the healthcare industry and knowing I was able to make an impact on them.”

Alongside her, Matt Del Pizzo, social studies teacher, is also retiring. The Del Pizzo’s have been married to each other for 13 years. He has been teaching for 27 years in total, 26 of them being at MHS.

However, he has not always been a teacher. “My previous company went under so I had to consider other options. Since I was a history major, I thought ‘Go become a teacher’,” Matt said. “Great career. You work 180 days a year. You’re gonna have an amazing pension and you get to retire young and live your life.”

He said he is excited to see what this next stage of life brings. He will be returning to coach girls tennis.

“I don’t know what I’m going to miss about teaching because I haven’t gotten to that stage yet,” Matt said.

When reminiscing on his career, he doesn’t see any extremes in terms of good and bad memories.

“You get your job. You have really good days. You have bad days. But you just keep showing up and doing it until you can hopefully retire someday, that’s just life,” Matt said. “There’s nothing that I have really loved or hated. I have always just found my center and tried to stay there.”

I’ll miss interacting with the students. I mean, that’s the joy of teaching is getting to know the kids and working with them,

— Della Thompson

Della Thompson, French teacher, found her teaching calling during her time at Washington University (WashU) in St. Louis. French has always been her passion, and teaching became a dream realized. She has been teaching at MHS for 28 years.

“When I worked on getting my Master’s at WashU, I was a teaching assistant, and I liked that better than some of the other things that I did. Then, ever since I started teaching, it’s just been a dream,” Thompson said.

Thompson plans to continue teaching, but not within the conventional classroom; instead, she will be teaching yoga.

She said one of the things she will miss most about teaching is her colleagues, who are like her work family.

“And I’ll miss interacting with the students. I mean, that’s the joy of teaching is getting to know the kids and working with them,” Thompson said.