MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

MHSNews | Science Bowl Team Buzzes Competition
Jack Favazza, Executive Producer • April 15, 2024

The Science Bowl team recently qualified for the national championship after winning the Missouri regional competition. The team, sponsored by...

After Spring Break, mirrors in MHS bathrooms were moved or removed. This is a way to protect students privacy since bathroom doors are now being propped open, Freshman Principal Kyle Devine said.
Bathroom Mirror Removal Frustrates Students
Morgan Siegel and Samantha PerzApril 11, 2024

Racquel Borland, sophomore, wakes up at 5:30 a.m. every morning to begin getting ready for school before she leaves to catch her bus at 6:40...

Matt Nienhaus Named Teacher of the Year

The+administration+team+surprised+math+teacher+Matt+Nienhaus+during+Ac+Lab+on+Tuesday%2C+Feb.+20%2C+with+the+honor+of+being+this+years+Teacher+of+the+Year.+
Media by Willem Hummel
The administration team surprised math teacher Matt Nienhaus during Ac Lab on Tuesday, Feb. 20, with the honor of being this year’s Teacher of the Year.
Matt Nienhaus, math teacher, explains commonly missed questions to his ACT prep class before school on Thursday, Oct. 19. MHS ACT scores have risen to 24.3 from 2022 to 2023. (Media by Annabelle Miller)

Cross Country Coach Matt Nienhaus is the 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year. 

Administrators and those close to Nienhaus surprised him during Mod 1 of Ac Lab on Tuesday, Feb. 20. Nienhaus was given a math-themed tie and balloons by Associate Principal Dr. Michael Wegener. 

Nienhaus comes from a family of teachers. Both his mother and father were math teachers in the Ladue School District. 

Nienhaus’s mom Joan Nienhaus was in attendance during his recognition. She said she believes her son picked up teaching from both his parents. 

“My husband just loved teaching mathematics, as did I. But I also had to raise a family at one point,” Joan said. 

Joan said she tortured her son with math while he was growing up, showcasing math to her son at a young age. 

Nienhaus started teaching 30 years ago, after graduating from Mizzou. He has taught at MHS every year the school has existed except for the 93-94 inaugural school year

Due to the school bus driver shortage in recent years, Matt Nienhaus, math teacher, drives the track and field players back and forth to their meets. (Media by David Moss)

He also drives a bus for track and field, teaches the math ACT prep class and is a custodian after school

Despite being highly involved at MHS, he is not a big fan of the attention. 

“I just kind of do my job and hopefully, it’s good enough,” he said.

Vismaya Vinod, junior, was in Nienhaus’s Ac Lab when the administration surprised Nienhaus as Teacher of the Year. 

“I think he’s very well deserving of the Teacher of the Year award,” Vinod said. 

Vinod had Nienhaus for the ACT prep class and said he always made an effort to help the students when they didn’t understand the concepts of the test. 

There are multiple steps to naming the Teacher of the Year. First, students and staff nominate teachers through a Google form. Then, staff narrows the nominations down, this year to 29 teachers. Finally, a top 5 is created through another round of staff voting. 

Principal Dr. Tracy Waeckerle said Nienhaus is a deserving candidate. 

“He’s worked really hard in and out of the classroom to make Marquette a better place and we’re very proud of him,” Dr. Waeckerle said.