Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.
District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab
David Moss and Zoey SroteApril 24, 2024

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members...

A police officer parks on campus to survey the environment and as a safety precautions. The district increased police presence amidst a school shooting threat that was called into 911 on Sunday.
911 Threat Causes Students to Stay Home, Admin to Increase Security
Emily Chen and Shreya DasApril 22, 2024

The person responsible for yesterday's 911 threat against a Rockwood high school is still unknown. “Today we were alerted that the police...

MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

MHS ACT Scores Rise Above National Average

Matt+Nienhaus%2C+math+teacher%2C+explains+commonly+missed+questions+to+his+ACT+prep+class+before+school+on+Thursday%2C+Oct.+19.+MHS+ACT+scores+have+risen+to+24.3+from+2022+to+2023.+This+doesn%E2%80%99t+follow+the+national+trend+of+a+decrease+in+average+scores.+
Media by Annabelle Miller
Matt Nienhaus, math teacher, explains commonly missed questions to his ACT prep class before school on Thursday, Oct. 19. MHS ACT scores have risen to 24.3 from 2022 to 2023. This doesn’t follow the national trend of a decrease in average scores.

Amid a decrease in the national ACT score, MHS continues to rise above the average and recover from the pandemic.

The national average ACT score dropped from 19.8 in 2022 to 19.5 in 2023. This is the lowest the average has been in the last 30 years, and the score has been decreasing since 2018.
MHS, however, had an average score of 24.29 in 2023, which was an increase from 2022.

ACT By the Numbers (Media by David Moss)

Julia Welker, testing coordinator, said this is the first year since the pandemic that the score has increased, but student testing rates have not changed.

“We have been providing the ACT to all juniors for close to 15 years, so the participation rate has remained constant,” Welker said. “The number of students who elect to take the PSAT and SAT also has similar numbers from year to year.”

Only 66% of Missouri students take the ACT, so MHS is well ahead of the rest of the state in test participation.

Recently, ACT has released a nationwide report detailing events that have affected the national average score. It includes the pandemic, a decrease in post-secondary enrollment and a 2.7% increase in the number of students who took the ACT.

Welker said these events have impacted MHS students as well.

“It is my hope every year for students to have access to a college admissions test and the ability to achieve success on it,” Welker said.

Melissa Burger, language arts teacher, runs the ACT prep program at MHS. She said the program allows students to gain 20 hours of instruction from MHS teachers for specific sections of the ACT.

“The more practice you put into a test like the ACT, the more you will see growth and, oftentimes, that translates into the score,” Burger said.

She said the program consistently sees improvement in students’ scores, and attributes MHS’ high average score partially to the prep program making it rewarding.

The more practice you put into a test like the ACT, the more you will see growth and, oftentimes, that translates into the score.”

— Melissa Burger

“Not just simply because students improve their score,” Burger said, “but because a lot of times students will come back and ask clarifying questions or just really want to learn more.”

Max Radovilsky, sophomore, was signed up for the prep program by his parents but said he is glad to be part of it.

“I think it’s better for me because it helps me work on strategies to complete the test,” Radovilsky said.

Radovilsky said he’s not surprised the MHS score is higher than the national average.

“We’re a smart school. Teachers work hard to make sure you know all the knowledge, and there’s a lot of help provided to make sure you get a good score,” Radovilsky said.