Superintendent Dr. Curtis Cain updates Rockwood high school student journalists on the Belonging Through a Culture of Dignity program on Monday, April 22. This training program is part of RSD’s long-term student success plan, The Way Forward, and is one of many new equity initiatives in the district.
"DEI" Disappearance: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programs Rebrand and Innovate
David Moss, News Editor • May 31, 2024

Equity at MHS Junior Lucas Tourinho, vice president of the Student Equity and Belonging Club, helps plan and organize many events throughout...

Nearly every bathroom stall in the building has graffiti. This graffiti was in the girls bathroom on the third floor A-wing.
Students, Admin Address Graffiti in Campus Bathrooms
Katelyn Skiles, Staff Reporter • May 28, 2024

Prairie Fleming, sophomore, marches down the second floor hallway, treading the same path of hundreds of students. She's heading to the bathroom...

Robin Craig, language arts teacher, has students in her Ac Lab to work together on projects. Ac Lab is a 90-minute period where students can catch up with missing assignments and tests.
Ac Lab Homerooms to be Assigned by Grade Level
Emily Chien, A&E Editor • May 25, 2024

At the start of every Ac Lab, Sophie Lane, junior, excitedly talks with her classmates and teacher, Jonah Boyd. “I feel like I’ve made...

Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

MHS ACT Scores Rise Above National Average

Matt+Nienhaus%2C+math+teacher%2C+explains+commonly+missed+questions+to+his+ACT+prep+class+before+school+on+Thursday%2C+Oct.+19.+MHS+ACT+scores+have+risen+to+24.3+from+2022+to+2023.+This+doesn%E2%80%99t+follow+the+national+trend+of+a+decrease+in+average+scores.+
Media by Annabelle Miller
Matt Nienhaus, math teacher, explains commonly missed questions to his ACT prep class before school on Thursday, Oct. 19. MHS ACT scores have risen to 24.3 from 2022 to 2023. This doesn’t follow the national trend of a decrease in average scores.

Amid a decrease in the national ACT score, MHS continues to rise above the average and recover from the pandemic.

The national average ACT score dropped from 19.8 in 2022 to 19.5 in 2023. This is the lowest the average has been in the last 30 years, and the score has been decreasing since 2018.
MHS, however, had an average score of 24.29 in 2023, which was an increase from 2022.

ACT By the Numbers (Media by David Moss)

Julia Welker, testing coordinator, said this is the first year since the pandemic that the score has increased, but student testing rates have not changed.

“We have been providing the ACT to all juniors for close to 15 years, so the participation rate has remained constant,” Welker said. “The number of students who elect to take the PSAT and SAT also has similar numbers from year to year.”

Only 66% of Missouri students take the ACT, so MHS is well ahead of the rest of the state in test participation.

Recently, ACT has released a nationwide report detailing events that have affected the national average score. It includes the pandemic, a decrease in post-secondary enrollment and a 2.7% increase in the number of students who took the ACT.

Welker said these events have impacted MHS students as well.

“It is my hope every year for students to have access to a college admissions test and the ability to achieve success on it,” Welker said.

Melissa Burger, language arts teacher, runs the ACT prep program at MHS. She said the program allows students to gain 20 hours of instruction from MHS teachers for specific sections of the ACT.

“The more practice you put into a test like the ACT, the more you will see growth and, oftentimes, that translates into the score,” Burger said.

She said the program consistently sees improvement in students’ scores, and attributes MHS’ high average score partially to the prep program making it rewarding.

The more practice you put into a test like the ACT, the more you will see growth and, oftentimes, that translates into the score.”

— Melissa Burger

“Not just simply because students improve their score,” Burger said, “but because a lot of times students will come back and ask clarifying questions or just really want to learn more.”

Max Radovilsky, sophomore, was signed up for the prep program by his parents but said he is glad to be part of it.

“I think it’s better for me because it helps me work on strategies to complete the test,” Radovilsky said.

Radovilsky said he’s not surprised the MHS score is higher than the national average.

“We’re a smart school. Teachers work hard to make sure you know all the knowledge, and there’s a lot of help provided to make sure you get a good score,” Radovilsky said.