Katelyn Heitert, senior, and a group of friends honor Rhegan Sajben each February by fundraising for different animal shelters. Sajben often volunteered at animal shelters with her family and adopted her dog Billie from a shelter she volunteered at. (Media by Laura Heitert)
PAWS for Rhegan Raises Money For Shelters
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • February 23, 2024

Katelyn Heitert, senior, has been raising money for animal shelters since 2022, but it’s not her love for animals that motivates her. It’s...

When students who have AT&T service tried to send text messages earlier today, they may have received a response saying AT&T is down due to a nation-wide outage.
Phone Outage Affects Students, Staff
Hailey Neuner and Zoey SroteFebruary 22, 2024

AT&T announced a nationwide cellular outage earlier today. The reason for the outage is still unknown. Carter DeVault, senior, first noticed...

The administration team surprised math teacher Matt Nienhaus during Ac Lab on Tuesday, Feb. 20, with the honor of being this years Teacher of the Year.
Matt Nienhaus Named Teacher of the Year
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • February 21, 2024

Cross Country Coach Matt Nienhaus is the 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year.  Administrators and those close to Nienhaus surprised him during...

Student audience members perform a short step routine. The routine was taught to them during the workshop. The participants engaged in a friendly competition against the Step team that was judged by the volume of the audience’s cheers.
MHS Celebrates Black History Month
Justin Small, Angel DiSalvo, and Jack FavazzaFebruary 21, 2024

When Gavin McDonnell, freshman, signed up to see an art display for Black History Month during Ac Lab on Wednesday, Feb. 7, he did not fully...

MHS ACT Scores Rise Above National Average

Matt+Nienhaus%2C+math+teacher%2C+explains+commonly+missed+questions+to+his+ACT+prep+class+before+school+on+Thursday%2C+Oct.+19.+MHS+ACT+scores+have+risen+to+24.3+from+2022+to+2023.+This+doesn%E2%80%99t+follow+the+national+trend+of+a+decrease+in+average+scores.+
Media by Annabelle Miller
Matt Nienhaus, math teacher, explains commonly missed questions to his ACT prep class before school on Thursday, Oct. 19. MHS ACT scores have risen to 24.3 from 2022 to 2023. This doesn’t follow the national trend of a decrease in average scores.

Amid a decrease in the national ACT score, MHS continues to rise above the average and recover from the pandemic.

The national average ACT score dropped from 19.8 in 2022 to 19.5 in 2023. This is the lowest the average has been in the last 30 years, and the score has been decreasing since 2018.
MHS, however, had an average score of 24.29 in 2023, which was an increase from 2022.

ACT By the Numbers (Media by David Moss)

Julia Welker, testing coordinator, said this is the first year since the pandemic that the score has increased, but student testing rates have not changed.

“We have been providing the ACT to all juniors for close to 15 years, so the participation rate has remained constant,” Welker said. “The number of students who elect to take the PSAT and SAT also has similar numbers from year to year.”

Only 66% of Missouri students take the ACT, so MHS is well ahead of the rest of the state in test participation.

Recently, ACT has released a nationwide report detailing events that have affected the national average score. It includes the pandemic, a decrease in post-secondary enrollment and a 2.7% increase in the number of students who took the ACT.

Welker said these events have impacted MHS students as well.

“It is my hope every year for students to have access to a college admissions test and the ability to achieve success on it,” Welker said.

Melissa Burger, language arts teacher, runs the ACT prep program at MHS. She said the program allows students to gain 20 hours of instruction from MHS teachers for specific sections of the ACT.

“The more practice you put into a test like the ACT, the more you will see growth and, oftentimes, that translates into the score,” Burger said.

She said the program consistently sees improvement in students’ scores, and attributes MHS’ high average score partially to the prep program making it rewarding.

The more practice you put into a test like the ACT, the more you will see growth and, oftentimes, that translates into the score.”

— Melissa Burger

“Not just simply because students improve their score,” Burger said, “but because a lot of times students will come back and ask clarifying questions or just really want to learn more.”

Max Radovilsky, sophomore, was signed up for the prep program by his parents but said he is glad to be part of it.

“I think it’s better for me because it helps me work on strategies to complete the test,” Radovilsky said.

Radovilsky said he’s not surprised the MHS score is higher than the national average.

“We’re a smart school. Teachers work hard to make sure you know all the knowledge, and there’s a lot of help provided to make sure you get a good score,” Radovilsky said.