The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.
Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 21, 2024

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before...

At any given time, students can be found in the Library or in a classroom on their phone, sometimes while also on another screen such as their Chromebook.
Hard Habit to Break
Willem Hummel and Gwyn MathusMay 17, 2024

Gianna Kensy, sophomore, said she often feels peer pressure to constantly post on social media. “On Snapchat, it's mainly you wanna say...

On Friday night, the northern lights were visible within miles of MHS.
Look Up
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 15, 2024

Parker Goltzman, freshman, was in Malinmor, Missouri, celebrating his dad’s birthday on Friday, May 10. “I was outside with my family...

Katy Drissell, American Sign Language teacher, leads her ASL 1 in signing about the weather on Wednesday, May 15.
District Adds American Sign Language 3 to Course Offerings
Morgan Siegel, Staff Reporter • May 15, 2024

Ever since she learned the alphabet in American Sign Language (ASL) in elementary school, Payton Smith, senior, has been interested in the language.  Smith...

‘Snow Day Enthusiast’

Snow day themed clothing raises money for Holiday Dreams program
Susan+Hartley%2C+science+teacher%2C+wears+a+Snow+Day+sweatshirt+that+she+purchased+last+year.+The+added+fundraiser+this+year+is+even+more+reason+to+purchase+one%2C+Hartley+said.+
Media by David Moss
Susan Hartley, science teacher, wears a Snow Day sweatshirt that she purchased last year. The added fundraiser this year is even more reason to purchase one, Hartley said.

Susan Hartley, science teacher, has purchased MHS-specific snow day clothing in years past “because every teacher has dreams of snow days just like every kid.”

This year she’ll have the opportunity to once again purchase MHS-specific snow day clothing through a fundraiser run by the Guidance Department. The order form for snow day shirts will close Wednesday, Nov. 22. 

Layla Torgoley, College and Career counselor, designed the shirts.

“On the front it says ‘Snow Day Enthusiast’ and on the back there is a horseshoe with snowflakes around it,” Torgoley said.

The snow day themed merchandise comes in black, navy and white as well as in a sweatshirt, long sleeve shirt and short sleeve shirt. The ordering window closes Wednesday, Nov. 22. (Media by Layla Torgoley)

Taylor Decker, social worker, said this is the first year the snow day clothing tradition will be used to fund the Holiday Dreams program, a program that supports students and their families around the holidays. 

“We are helping and supporting our own community,” Decker said.

A portion of the proceeds from shirt sales will go toward the goal to reach $6,000 total, Decker said.

“Typically, we provide a $100 gift card to 60 students that are identified by our staff,” Decker said. “Gift cards are normally to Target, Amazon, Walmart — somewhere where they are able to have some voice and choice in what they would like.”

Decker said students are nominated to receive this support by herself or an administrator.

“It’s often a nice surprise for students because they don’t realize they have been selected that year,” Decker said.

It’s often a nice surprise for students because they don’t realize they have been selected that year.”

— Taylor Decker

Lauren Nickel, junior, said her mom is part of the Marquette Parent Organization (MPO) and helped design flyers for the fundraiser.

“I think it’s really cool that it fundraises money for Marquette students,” Nickel said.

Torgoley said $5 from every sale goes toward the Holiday Dreams fund.

“I think it is a great program, the whole community really gets involved with it, whether that’s a donation, whether it’s donating by purchasing a little t-shirt, or I know we have lots of families and staff members that give money or gift cards,” Torgoley said. “It really just brings the community together to help out our students that just need a little bit of extra love.”