Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.
District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab
David Moss and Zoey SroteApril 24, 2024

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members...

A police officer parks on campus to survey the environment and as a safety precautions. The district increased police presence amidst a school shooting threat that was called into 911 on Sunday.
911 Threat Causes Students to Stay Home, Admin to Increase Security
Emily Chen and Shreya DasApril 22, 2024

The person responsible for yesterday's 911 threat against a Rockwood high school is still unknown. “Today we were alerted that the police...

MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

New MO Law Prohibits Distracted Driving

The+Siddens+Bening+Hands+Free+Law+will+go+into+full+effect+in+2025.+Under+this+law%2C+drivers+cannot+type%2C+write%2C+send+or+read+any+text-based+communications+or+watch%2C+record%2C+post%2C+send+or+broadcast+videos+while+driving.+
Media by Elliott Jorgensen
The Siddens Bening Hands Free Law will go into full effect in 2025. Under this law, drivers cannot type, write, send or read any text-based communications or watch, record, post, send or broadcast videos while driving.

Addison Thurston, senior, almost never looks at his phone when he’s behind the wheel, but Thurston can’t say the same for other drivers he’s encountered on the road.

“Some drivers will try to merge into my lane because they’re distracted by their phone,” Thurston said. “I’ll need to either swerve to get out of the way or honk to make them aware.”

In hopes of addressing this dangerous issue, a new Missouri Law bans all drivers from holding a cell phone while driving. Previously, this only applied to drivers under 21. 

The “Siddens Bening Hands Free Law,” named in memory of two Missourians who lost their lives in traffic crashes, took effect Monday, Aug. 28.

It’s like any other law out there: the driver has to choose whether or not they will comply with it.

— Adrian Washington

Adrian Washington, public information officer, said the St. Louis County Police Department, like other Missouri police departments, will not heavily enforce this law yet. 

“It doesn’t go into full effect until 2025,” Washington said.

Once the law is strictly enforced, it will be prohibited for drivers to hold/support a cell phone or other wireless device; manually type, write, send, or read any text-based communication; or watch, record, post, send, or broadcast a video. The law does not apply to Bluetooth or voice-activated features.

Officer Washington said this law will only create positive change for the “better percent” of drivers.

“When you’re driving, how well do you see people obeying traffic laws?” Washington said. “Do you see everyone obeying stop signs, or do you see some people obeying stop signs? It’s like any other law out there: the driver has to choose whether or not they will comply with it.”

Edward Ter-hovhannisyan, junior, said he sometimes needs to utilize his phone while driving.

“There are times when I have to get back home quickly, so I pull out my phone for Google Maps in case there’s an exit coming up that I need to take,” Ter-hovhannisyan said. “If I were to stop in the middle of the highway and pull onto the shoulder, that would be very dangerous and a real time-waster.”

If it’s a law in Missouri, then you have to abide by it here. We want everybody on our campus to be safe.

— Melissa Davis

Ter-hovhannisyan said he often listens to music while driving and uses his phone to change songs.

Outside of these situations, Ter-hovhannisyan doesn’t often use his phone while driving and recommends that drivers avoid texting and using social media.

In the MHS parking lot, Junior Principal Melissa Davis said it’s a priority to ensure everyone is following the rules and no one is distracted or on their phone.

“Our parking lot is very busy; all of our parking spots are filled,” Davis said. “We have juniors and seniors who are parking, we have parents who come to pick up and we have students walking across the crosswalks, so paying attention is very important.

Davis hopes people will abide by the Hands Free Law, as phone use is extremely distracting and dangerous when combined with driving.

“If it’s a law in Missouri, then you have to abide by it here,” Davis said. “We want everybody on our campus to be safe.”