MHSNews | Marquette Hosts Bring Your Kid to Work Day
Lani Hines, Staff Reporter • April 30, 2024

On April 18th, Marquette hosted the nationwide Bring Your Kid To Work Day. MHS News spoke with multiple children throughout the day to explore...

MHSNews | Making Art at the Manchester Makers Mart
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • April 26, 2024

At Schroeder Park, the Manchester Parks, Recreation, and Arts Department hosted the Manchester Makers Mart to celebrate Earth Day. The event...

Goggles, water gun, and floaties are all used to eliminate students and remain safe while playing Senior Assassin
Seniors Compete in Senior Assassin to Win a Cash Prize
Morgan Siegel, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

Stalking his next target on Life360 and camping out at her job, Jackson Butler, senior, cornered Tara Deshpande, senior, in the parking lot where...

MHSNews | MHS French Club Fights Festival Waste
Sophia Dominicis, Social Media Editor • April 22, 2024

With festival's popularity seeing an increase, waste is also increasing. French teacher Della Thompson talks about one of Marquette's largest...

Clubs Collaborate to Offer Oktoberfest During Ac Lab

Media by Claire
Senior Brady Payne and juniors Henry Chen and Jacob Yn poor drinks to pass out to the 55 students who attended Oktoberfest in the Flex Room during the second mod of Ac Lab on Tuesday. The event was a collaboration between the German Club and the Geography Club.

During the second module of Ac Lab on Tuesday, the German and Geography clubs co-hosted an Oktoberfest

Emily Thompson, French teacher and Geography Club sponsor, said the club chose to host this meeting because it’s the time of year that the real Oktoberfest Festival happens in Germany.

“Oktoberfest is a celebration of the marriage of the King of Bavaria,” Thompson said. 

Over six million people attend the annual Oktoberfest Festival every year in Munich.

At MHS, about 55 people signed up to attend the Oktoberfest.

About 55 students signed up to attend Oktoberfest in the Flex Room during the second mod of Ac Lab on Tuesday. In addition to trying German-inspired foods, the students learned facts about Oktoberfest in a slide presentation. (Media by Claire Lowder)

Junior Will Hughes, president of Geography Club, planned the celebration with the German Club, which included discussing what traditional elements should be showcased at the meeting , such as singing and dancing.

“We started spitting out ideas and came up with the best ones,” Hughes said. “Most clubs don’t collaborate for big events like this, so it’s exciting to get a chance to join forces since we usually don’t.”

Senior Greta Woitach, president of the German Club, worked with Hughes and the rest of the club officers to plan for this club crossover.

“We’ll be eating pretzels, learning songs and making Apfelschorle,” Woitach said.

Apfelschorle is a German apple-flavored soft drink. Pretzels served at Oktoberfest are called Wiesnzeit, and are culturally significant because they are a symbol of good luck, long life and prosperity.

I hope people come to immerse themselves and try to learn something new.”

— Greta Woitach

Oktoberfest is so important to German culture that people take off work for the two week-long holiday, Woitach said. It starts in September because the days are longer and warmer, allowing for more time to recognize the holiday. 

Because Woitach is currently taking German through an online program at Mizzou because German 5 isn’t offered at MHS, this meeting gives her an opportunity to participate in activities related to her field of study. 

“I’m most excited to see people show up and learn about German culture,” Woitach said. “I hope people come to immerse themselves and try to learn something new.”