A&E
MHSNews | Making Art at the Manchester Makers Mart
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • April 26, 2024

At Schroeder Park, the Manchester Parks, Recreation, and Arts Department hosted the Manchester Makers Mart to celebrate Earth Day. The event...

The Tortured Poets Department was released in 4 additional vinyl variants, including The Manuscript, The Bolter, The Albatross (pictured) and The Black Dog.
Review: The Tortured Poets Department
Zoey SroteApril 26, 2024

Since its announcement at The Grammy Awards in February, “The Tortured Poets Department” (TTPD) by Taylor Swift has been highly anticipated....

MHSNews | Geeking Out with First Friday
MHSNews | Geeking Out with First Friday
Gabe Conaway, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

Every month, the St Louis Science Center hosts First Friday. The First Friday held on March 1st was centered around anime. The event features...

Finding the Flame: Final Fantasy XVI Review
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 22, 2024

Final Fantasy XVI Main Game Final Fantasy XVI (FFXVI) is a groundbreaking action Role Playing Game (RPG) developed by Creative Business 3 (CBU3)...

MHSNews | MHSNews Gaming Ep. 10: Androids and Angels
Myles Edgington and Elliott JorgensenApril 20, 2024

On this episode of MHSNews Gaming, we dive into what components make an enjoyable and memorable experience within a video game. Nier Automata...

Recent Blockbusters Cause Interest in the Movies

The foyer of Marcus, Des Peres, is adorned with advertisements and announcements for events at the theaters for upcoming movies like “Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé” and movies for the holiday season. “I really like the movies because I can sympathize and understand the characters on a deeper level,” Isabella Tyulyayev, junior, said. “Knowing what a person has gone through and seeing how they act can also be a great lesson for real life as some people reflect this same action after going through similar events in their life.”
Media by Eli Ferguson

Isabella Tyulyayev, junior, went to see “Five Nights at Freddy’s” (“FNAF”) with her friends and said she rates the movie a 7/10.

“FNAF” is a horror movie adaptation of the “Five Nights at Freddy’s” Video Games. In this, the player works the night shift at a restaurant in which animatronics try to attack the player, and the goal is to survive the night.

I think theaters are more immersive than the at home approach because there’s built in surround sound and the screen is also huge, you really get sucked into the story because of these things.

— Isabella Tyulyayev

“The actual story telling part of the movie wasn’t all too great,” Tyulyayev said. “It felt like a generic ‘horror’ film but I rated it a little higher because it’s from a notorious video game franchise and the lore implications from the games into the movie were also a huge bonus.”

Tyulyayev would describe herself as a movie-goer, as she attends the movies about two to three times each month.

“I think theaters are more immersive than the at home approach because there’s built in surround sound and the screen is also huge,” Tyulyayev said. “You really get sucked into the story because of these things.”

Especially with the recent success of blockbuster movies like “Avatar: The Way of Water”, “Barbie”, and “The Super Mario Bros. Movie”, more people and students have been attending the theaters. According to The Numbers “Avatar: The Way of Water” is the third highest performing film in the box offices of all time, “Barbie” is in 14th, and “The Super Mario Bros Movie” in 16th. Those movies are all from 2022 and on.

According to The Numbers, ticket sales across the globe may be climbing to pre-COVID levels.

Trent Belpulsi, Senior Assistant Manager at Marcus Des Peres and Class of ‘20, said that “Top Gun: Maverick” was the turning point for movie theater attendance since COVID, but he still sees a slight lull. 

“I think the public is still cautious of theaters,” Belpulsi said. “The pandemic and the rise of streaming content are a cause for many to not go to theaters. But I see more people returning to theaters and enjoying everything we have to offer.”

Belpulsi said there is still hope for movies coming back despite challenges with streaming services and COVID “which the success of recent films has hinted to.”

“Experiencing a movie on the big screen compared to streaming at home makes a huge difference,” Belpulsi said. “Films like ‘Oppenheimer’ or ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ wouldn’t feel the same if you only watched them at home.”

Alex Rafi, Assistant Professor of Media Production at St. Louis University, said that movie-going has always been a collective experience to connect with others.

I would say that we are going through a transformational moment because of the influence of streaming,

— Alex Rafi

“There’s nothing like seeing a movie with a bunch of different people,” Rafi said. “Even though you can have that kind of experience at home or online, there’s something about being with other people in the flesh where you’re reacting to the same moments in real time that can’t be replicated.”

Streaming services have changed the nature of films as well, Rafi said, leading to less low-budget and fun films that could have achieved cult classic status from being made. 

“I would say that we are going through a transformational moment because of the influence of streaming,” Rafi said. 

He said COVID has influenced films by producing more big-budget, culturally impactful films that bring in younger audiences.