A&E
MHSNews | Making Art at the Manchester Makers Mart
Myles Edgington, Co-Online Publisher • April 26, 2024

At Schroeder Park, the Manchester Parks, Recreation, and Arts Department hosted the Manchester Makers Mart to celebrate Earth Day. The event...

The Tortured Poets Department was released in 4 additional vinyl variants, including The Manuscript, The Bolter, The Albatross (pictured) and The Black Dog.
Review: The Tortured Poets Department
Zoey SroteApril 26, 2024

Since its announcement at The Grammy Awards in February, “The Tortured Poets Department” (TTPD) by Taylor Swift has been highly anticipated....

MHSNews | Geeking Out with First Friday
MHSNews | Geeking Out with First Friday
Gabe Conaway, Staff Reporter • April 26, 2024

Every month, the St Louis Science Center hosts First Friday. The First Friday held on March 1st was centered around anime. The event features...

Finding the Flame: Final Fantasy XVI Review
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 22, 2024

Final Fantasy XVI Main Game Final Fantasy XVI (FFXVI) is a groundbreaking action Role Playing Game (RPG) developed by Creative Business 3 (CBU3)...

MHSNews | MHSNews Gaming Ep. 10: Androids and Angels
Myles Edgington and Elliott JorgensenApril 20, 2024

On this episode of MHSNews Gaming, we dive into what components make an enjoyable and memorable experience within a video game. Nier Automata...

Families Bond Over Apple Traditions

Media by Emily Chien
Apple flavored products are popular this time of the year. Some of the products shown above are the Waterloo Spiced Apple Sparkling Water, Califia Farms Apple Crumble Oat Milk Coffee Creamer, and the Trader Joe’s Caramel Apple Mochi.

Apple pies, candied apples, apple crisps, and apple flavored drinks fill kitchens during autumn.

In the Midwest, most apple orchards are ready to be picked by September or at the end of August. The season wraps up in October, around Halloween. 

Many people casually go apple picking every once in a while, like Carl Taraporevala, junior, who went with his family to Eckert’s Farm a few years ago.

It makes me feel really wholesome and reminds me of where my family is rooted,

— Nevaeh Kerber

“They tasted really good and it was really fun to pick them straight off the tree and eat them fresh,” said Taraporevala.

A popular spot for apple picking in St. Louis is Eckert’s Farm. They have locations in Millstadt, Grafton, and Belleville, Illinois.

Nevaeh Kerber, junior, also went Apple picking at Eckert’s farm this fall to fulfill her family tradition of making applesauce with her family.

Apple scale from left ro right: Jazz, Envy, Honeycrisp, Fuji, and Gala (Media by Emily Chien)

Kerber’s family meets every year in the fall and use Kerber’s great-grandma’s apple peeler in order to make applesauce.

“It makes me feel really wholesome and reminds me of where my family is rooted,” said Kerber.

This year they convened on Sunday, September 10th, and made tubs of apple sauce for the family to enjoy.

“The applesauce is really good,” Kerber said. “It’s a fun thing to do with the family and it brings us together every fall.”

Apple pie is one of the staples of apple-based dishes and according to the family of Leslie Tiemeyer, FACS teacher, she makes a pretty good one.

“My sisters-in-law are always complimentary of my pie, they say ‘It’s so good, you have to make this every year!’” Tiemeyer said.

Tiemeyer makes apple pie every year for her family on Thanksgiving. She usually buys Honeycrisp apples for her filling, and the night before she makes the crust to refrigerate it. When building the pie she cuts her peeled apples into thin slices, and  constructs it the day of Thanksgiving.

My sisters-in-law are always complimentary of my pie, they say ‘It’s so good, you have to make this every year!

— Leslie Tiemeyer

Another favorite apple dish that reminds Tiemeyer of fall is apple cake. Tiemeyer’s mother made it for her family every year, and her grandfather loved it. The dish consists of a regular cake with apple pieces mixed in. Unfortunately, Tiemeyer no longer has the recipe.