Girls water polo won the State championship against Parkway North on Tuesday, May 14. They won second place the two previous years.
Girls Water Polo Wins State
Luke Graves and Anvi TalyanMay 15, 2024

“Buzz!” As the final timer blared at the girls water polo state championship game, junior Nevaeh Kerber, cried tears of joy. The water...

Maryann Kenyon, freshman, just finished her first year on the varsity girls basketball team. We went to talk to her about her experiences as a player not only at MHS but also throughout her career.
Meet MHS | Maryann Kenyon
Gwyn Mathus, Staff Reporter • May 10, 2024

Maryann Kenyon, freshman, just finished her first year on the varsity girl's basketball team. We went to talk to her about her...

Danner attempts to break her Marquette javelin record of 37.2 meters at the conference meet on Friday. 

Photograph by Jackie Danner
Senior Breaks Girls Javelin Record
Aiden Burkhardt and Justin SmallMay 6, 2024

After launching the javelin into the air, Natalie Danner, senior, was proud as it traveled 38.4 meters down the field. Danner broke her own...

Varsity lacrosse players huddle up before their game against Rockwood Summit. Both Lally and Haas scored their 100 goal on senior night.  Photograph by Katherine Schroeder
Scoring Success
Prashu Sidella, Online Editor • May 6, 2024

Lacrosse players Marin Lally, junior, and Madelyn Haas, senior, have recently achieved two notable milestones of scoring 100 career points and...

Aubrey Watson and Meyer meet in a huddle at the mound during a District game in the 2022 season.
Photograph by Amanda Watson
"Play Hard, Play Together, Play like a Mustang"
Hailey Neuner, Sports Editor • May 3, 2024

John Meyer and Eric Schweain announced their coaching retirements from softball and boys basketball, respectively, earlier this year.  Adam...

Senior Breaks Girls Javelin Record

Danner attempts to break her Marquette javelin record of 37.2 meters at the conference meet on Friday. Photograph by Jackie Danner

After launching the javelin into the air, Natalie Danner, senior, was proud as it traveled 38.4 meters down the field.

Danner broke her own previous MHS javelin record of 37.2 meters at the conference meet at Hazelwood West High School last Friday, May 3.

“I’d been practicing a lot this week, the weather was really nice, and then I just went for it. ” Danner said. “I had a feeling I was going to break it as soon as I threw, and then it did.”

I’d been practicing a lot this week, the weather was really nice, and then I just went for it.

— Natalie Danner

Mike Ebert, head girls track coach, said he’s incredibly proud of Danner for beating her second record despite her difficulties.

“She’s dealt with a little bit of an injury this season,” Ebert said, “and so the fact that she’s throwing the best she’s ever thrown right now, especially as we’re getting ready to head into the postseason is perfect timing.”

Ebert also said he appreciates the effect Danner’s accomplishment has had on the team.

“I think anytime somebody breaks a record, it just brings intense attention to their event and just to the idea of everybody trying to be the best they can,” Ebert said.

I think anytime somebody breaks a record, it just brings intense attention to their event and just to the idea of everybody trying to be the best they can,

— Mike Ebert

Ebert also said he’s proud of Danner’s character and what she brings to the team.

“She’s quiet but very competitive,” Ebert said. “She’s also incredibly supportive and incredibly positive. She’s a great teammate.”

Charlotte Qin, senior, who had ran several events including the 300-meter hurdles at the meet, was cheering in the stands when Danner broke her previous record.

“It’s been two years since she broke her record, so I was thinking it’s about time,” Qin said. “I knew she always had it in her, but she had some injuries that she had to overcome. So I think it’s pretty awesome.”