MHSNews | Inside The Seams Ep. 3: Katelyn Morgenthaler
Lani Hines and Lydia LangeApril 10, 2024

From picking up a lacrosse stick for the first time her freshman year to committing as a D2 athlete her junior year, Katelyn Morgenthaler shares...

MHSNews | Excess Heat Affects Track Season
Stephan Bosnjak, Staff Reporter • April 4, 2024

The weather outside is starting to heat up already, and it is just the start of the track season. MHSNews spoke with Evan Voelker, Brady Lingafelter,...

Aaron Akin, junior, pitches against Northwest on Friday, March 29. Akin threw a no-hitter, a game in which the pitcher does not give up a single hit. (Media By Jennifer Akin)
Junior Throws Fourth No-Hitter in MHS History
Annabelle Miller and Justin SmallApril 3, 2024

Cheered on by excited spectators and parents, Aaron Akin, junior, threw the first no-hitter in a decade, and the fourth at MHS, at the varsity...

In addition to placing first in her division at the state archery competition, senior Sydney Sonn’s score of 514 set a new state record for the highest score in her USA Archery Junior Olympic Archery Development age division, females ages 18-21, for this indoor state competition.
Senior Takes First at State Archery Championship, Breaks Record
Kate Jesperson, Page Designer • April 3, 2024

Sydney Sonn, senior, inhales and exhales, releasing her final arrow. It whistles past her cheek and onto the target, earning the final points...

MHSNews | Girls Basketball Takes Home District Title
Lani Hines, Staff Reporter • April 2, 2024

Girls basketball took home the District Champion title after defeating Eureka in the District Championship game. With the final score of 51-47,...

Varsity Swim Breaks Two School Records at State

Four boys broke two school records at the MSHSAA Swim and Dive Championships on Friday, Nov. 9. MHSNews talks with members of the medley relay team to see what they had to say about how they achieved this feat.

Four boys broke two school records at the MSHSAA Swim and Dive Championships this weekend. MHS Swim and Dive also placed 9th overall. Joseph Schodel, swim coach, said that swim records aren’t broken very often, so two at State is a big deal. 

“Top 10 is always big, especially in our state where everyone is stupid fast,” Schoedel said. 

Jack Favazza, senior, broke the school’s 100-yard breaststroke record by seven-tenths of a second along with participating in the relay team that broke the 200-yard medley relay record. The 100-yard breaststroke was last broken in 2006 and the 200-yard medley relay was broken last in 2017.

Max Xu, junior, stands in his gear at state after his race. “Next season I aim to get an individual record” Xu said. (Media by Mary Bezzant)

“Seven-tenths is a fairly substantial amount in the 100 breaststroke,” Schoedel said.

The medley relay record was broken by three-tenths of a second by seniors Favazza and Braden Scherrer and juniors Max Xu and Vincent Hagar. Favazza swam breaststroke, Scherrer swam backstroke, Hagar swam butterfly and Xu swam freestyle. 

“We were all very excited to break the record since it was a goal of ours for the entire season,” Xu said.

This was the first record he has ever broken. 

“We looked over at the time on the board and everyone was cheering when we finished,” Xu said, “It was kind of surreal that we made it.”

Xu ended the relay swimming freestyle as his teammates watched.

“When Max was swimming, we were super anxious and wanted him to get to the wall, and we broke the record by three-tenths of a second. That’s less than a snap,” Hagar said.

I honestly think the chemistry between our group helped because we are friends and it also helped just get us over the top,

— Vincent Hagar

Next year, Hagar said he hopes to break individual records for fly to pair with his new medley record. He has broken a couple of club records but this is his first for school records. 

Hagar said that during practice, the group pushed each other so they could reach their goal of breaking the school record. Relay starts were their main focus to keep the fastest time. Hagar said they practiced every time as if they were racing.

“I honestly think the chemistry between our group helped because we are friends and it also helped just get us over the top,” Hagar said.