Shelly Justins Black Literature class creates posters for Black History Month. Throughout the semester, the students will read literature written by Black authors. A similar class is the topic of controversy in the Francis Howell School District.
In Defense of Black Literature
Editorial BoardFebruary 12, 2024

Francis Howell North High School students organized a walk-out on Thursday, Jan. 18, in response to proposed changes to the curriculum of their...

Taylor Swift, TIME Person of the Year, made multiple headlines in the past few months for her connection to Travis Kelce, tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs.
Opinion: Taylor Swift Has Been Nothing but Beneficial to NFL
Zoey Srote, Staff Reporter • February 8, 2024

With the Kansas City Chiefs now Super Bowl LVIII bound, the Baltimore Ravens’ loss after securing a spot in the second round of the NFL playoffs...

Black students face a major achievement gap in regard to advanced placement courses, as a result of racial biases and curriculum-based limitations that negatively impact their academic performance.
Opinion: Racial Bias Affects Academic Performance
Justin Small, Page Designer • January 25, 2024

I remember the day I decided to look around at MHS. I noticed that in all of my higher-level honors and AP classes, very few people looked like...

Jason Winter, choir teacher, talks with his 4th hour class during their break-time, which occurs every 30 minutes. Monet Ballard, junior, said Winter’s class has been much more productive since the restorative periods were implemented.
Opinion: Students Need Breaks During Classes
David Moss, News Editor • January 4, 2024

Hasty passing times and a strict attendance policy have helped maintain safety and order at MHS. But when I find myself constantly rushing, working...

Canvas is one of the most used college interfaces and is seen in many Missouri universities, such as MIZZOU and St. Louis University. Blackboard is another popular site, while Google Classroom is rare to see in postsecondary institutions.
Opinion: RSD Canvas Investment is Valid
Editorial BoardJanuary 4, 2024

The Rockwood School District has decided to go all in on Canvas for the 2024-2025 school year. While Google Classroom has been students’...

Opinion: RSD Canvas Investment is Valid

Canvas+is+one+of+the+most+used+college+interfaces+and+is+seen+in+many+Missouri+universities%2C+such+as+MIZZOU+and+St.+Louis+University.+Blackboard+is+another+popular+site%2C+while+Google+Classroom+is+rare+to+see+in+postsecondary+institutions.+
Media by Elliott Jorgensen

The Rockwood School District has decided to go all in on Canvas for the 2024-2025 school year.

While Google Classroom has been students’ preferred online learning platform, the advancements Canvas brings outweigh the familiarity of Google Classroom.

From MIZZOU to Harvard to St. Louis University, most of the post-secondary world has adopted Canvas as its main platform.

If we begin using Canvas in high school, the transition to college will be much easier.

This change doesn’t just benefit students. It benefits teachers as well.

Canvas integrates with the Infinite Campus platform and moves grades into Infinite Campus automatically and seamlessly. Teachers spend less time grading and more time teaching or planning lessons.

While the simplistic design language of Google Classroom is preferred by students, Canvas’ modules are organized more efficiently. Looking back at past assignments is quick and easy in Canvas while you may have to scroll for hours in Classroom.

The complicated design of Canvas may initially confuse students, but the in-depth tools integrated into the service are powerful.

Canvas links to Pearson, Studymate, Google Drive and more course-specific resources. Most math and science classes have already used Canvas and Pearson for homework, science labs and textbooks.

Google Classroom is often used by language arts, history and elective classes. There isn’t as much of an incentive to switch to Canvas for them because the Canvas tools don’t directly benefit their classes.

However, they should embrace this shift to Canvas for their students. If every class uses the same platform, students will be less disorganized and more likely to find their work.

Change isn’t always a bad thing. Streamlining the assignment and education process will only benefit students.