Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.
Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 21, 2024

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before...

At any given time, students can be found in the Library or in a classroom on their phone, sometimes while also on another screen such as their Chromebook.
Hard Habit to Break
Willem Hummel and Gwyn MathusMay 17, 2024

Gianna Kensy, sophomore, said she often feels peer pressure to constantly post on social media. “On Snapchat, it's mainly you wanna say...

On Friday night, the northern lights were visible within miles of MHS.
Look Up
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 15, 2024

Parker Goltzman, freshman, was in Malinmor, Missouri, celebrating his dad’s birthday on Friday, May 10. “I was outside with my family...

Bathroom Mirror Removal Frustrates Students

Media by Morgan Siegel
After Spring Break, mirrors in MHS bathrooms were moved or removed. This is a way to protect students’ privacy since bathroom doors are now being propped open, Freshman Principal Kyle Devine said.

Racquel Borland, sophomore, wakes up at 5:30 a.m. every morning to begin getting ready for school before she leaves to catch her bus at 6:40 a.m. Once she arrives at MHS, Borland, along with other students who take the bus from the city, prefers to finish getting ready in the school bathrooms.

The first week back from Spring Break, however, Borland came across a surprise: some of the bathroom mirrors had been removed.

Racquel Borland, sophomore, fixes her hair in the third floor girls bathroom. Borland said that girls now crowd around the remaining mirrors in school bathrooms since some have been removed. (Media by Morgan Siegel)

“Hanging out in the bathroom has gotten worse because there are only two mirrors in the cafeteria bathroom, which is where the girls typically put on makeup,” Borland said. “Every girl is trying to take turns using two mirrors.”

Borland said a lot of girls value their physical appearance.

“Physical appearance can make or break our confidence and a lot of girls base their self-esteem off that, and taking away the mirrors makes some girls a little more self-conscious,” Borland said.

Moving bathroom mirrors coincided with the administration propping open bathroom doors.

“We are going to be permanently propping the doors open, so the reason for moving the mirrors is for the privacy of the people in the stalls and urinals,” Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine said.

I think it’s just weird and, frankly, makes everyone uncomfortable.

— Landon Lawhorn

After Spring Break, mirrors in MHS bathrooms were moved or removed. This is a way to protect students’ privacy since bathroom doors are now being propped open, Freshman Principal Kyle Devine said. (Media by Elliott Jorgensen)

Devine said keeping bathroom doors open is an attempt to address issues with vaping, fighting and graffiti in the bathrooms.

“It’s really just to keep the place safer for people and more enjoyable,” Devine said. “Nobody should have to walk into a bathroom and deal with that.”

Landon Lawhorn, sophomore, said he wishes bathroom doors would remain closed.

“I think that is a major invasion of privacy,” Lawhorn said. “I just think it’s weird and, frankly, makes everyone uncomfortable.”