Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.
Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 21, 2024

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before...

At any given time, students can be found in the Library or in a classroom on their phone, sometimes while also on another screen such as their Chromebook.
Hard Habit to Break
Willem Hummel and Gwyn MathusMay 17, 2024

Gianna Kensy, sophomore, said she often feels peer pressure to constantly post on social media. “On Snapchat, it's mainly you wanna say...

On Friday night, the northern lights were visible within miles of MHS.
Look Up
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 15, 2024

Parker Goltzman, freshman, was in Malinmor, Missouri, celebrating his dad’s birthday on Friday, May 10. “I was outside with my family...

Library Hosts Celebration for Rockwood Reading Day

Media by Samantha Perz
Students in Lauren Willams’ 9th Accelerated Language Arts class read in the Library. To celebrate Rockwood Reading Day, the Library invited over 30 classes to read for 20 minutes of their periods throughout the day.

The Library welcomed more than 800 students throughout the day on Friday, March 1, as part of its celebration of Rockwood Reading Day. 

Language arts classes were invited to come to the Library to read for the first or last 20 minutes of their periods. Students also had the opportunity to sip on tea, hot cocoa, Capri Suns or water as they read.

Ray Holmes, librarian, looked forward to seeing students enjoy reading.

The Library offered hot cocoa, tea, Capri Suns, and water for students to drink while reading. (Media by Samantha Perz)

“I feel students and teachers don’t often get permission to take time to enjoy a book during the day because the school day is pretty busy for everybody,” Holmes said. “I’m hoping that the students enjoy getting that opportunity.”

Abby Sander, freshman, went to the Library in her fourth hour Accelerated Language Arts class. During that time, she read “Everything, Everything” by Nicola Yoon.

Although Sander mostly reads required books for class, she enjoys spending time in the Library.

“My favorite genre is dystopian, so I like looking in that section,” Sander said.

During first, third and seventh hours, Liz Pease, language arts teacher, took her classes to the Library to participate in the event. She said some students were excited when they heard about the celebration.

“I did see one student do a fist pump when I mentioned there would be hot chocolate or tea of their choice,” Pease said.

I feel students and teachers don’t often get permission to take time to enjoy a book during the day because the school day is pretty busy for everybody.

— Ray Holmes

While Pease said she understands that reading is a struggle for many students due to short attention spans, she said reading is a way to teach students important life skills.

“The essence of empathy, vocabulary building and knowledge building is hugely important, and if people can have the opportunity to get that on their own time, per se, maybe they will take their own time outside of school and read,” Pease said.

View Comments (1)
$15
$625

About the Contributor
Samantha Perz
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter
Samantha Perz, sophomore, is a staff reporter for the Marquette Messenger. This is her first semester on staff. She is involved in Student Council and Key Club. Outside of school, Samantha dances and is an avid reader.
$15
$625

• Linda JacobsMar 8, 2024 at 4:54 PM

Impressive journalism!!

Reply