MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

MHSNews | Science Bowl Team Buzzes Competition
Jack Favazza, Executive Producer • April 15, 2024

The Science Bowl team recently qualified for the national championship after winning the Missouri regional competition. The team, sponsored by...

After Spring Break, mirrors in MHS bathrooms were moved or removed. This is a way to protect students privacy since bathroom doors are now being propped open, Freshman Principal Kyle Devine said.
Bathroom Mirror Removal Frustrates Students
Morgan Siegel and Samantha PerzApril 11, 2024

Racquel Borland, sophomore, wakes up at 5:30 a.m. every morning to begin getting ready for school before she leaves to catch her bus at 6:40...

Phone Outage Affects Students, Staff

When+students+who+have+AT%26T+service+tried+to+send+text+messages+earlier+today%2C+they+may+have+received+a+response+saying+AT%26T+is+down+due+to+a+nation-wide+outage.+
Media by Zoey Srote
When students who have AT&T service tried to send text messages earlier today, they may have received a response saying “AT&T is down” due to a nation-wide outage.

AT&T announced a nationwide cellular outage earlier today. The reason for the outage is still unknown.

Carter DeVault, senior, first noticed the outage early this morning. 

“I noticed this morning on my drive to school, I was trying to listen to music and it wasn’t working,” DeVault said. 

The outage has also affected students’ ability to easily contact parents, having to go through alternative applications. DeVault thanks Life360 for aiding communications with his parents despite having no connection.

It seems as though AT&T users are affected more than others, with some phones on “SOS” and others hanging on 1 bar. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported outages with other service providers such as T-Mobile and Verizon as well. 

Principal Dr. Tracy Waeckerle said that while the outage poses an inconvenience for students and staff, the school day should be uninterrupted.

“It could actually help our school day, with less distractions. It’s not essential for students to have their phones for the school day because our internet still works in the school.”

— Tracey Waeckerle

“I don’t think it’s going to have any impact on the school day because our school phones still work, so parents can still get ahold of students, and if students need to get ahold of a parent, they can go to an office,” Dr. Waeckerle said.

Chromebooks, computers and school phones are operating as usual. Instruction is virtually unhindered.

“It could actually help our school day, with less distractions,” Dr. Waeckerle said. “It’s not essential for students to have their phones for the school day because our internet still works in the school.”

Becky Eaton, Instructional Technology staff member, said quick communications were hindered for her and others this morning. 

“For me, it’s really difficult because with my role in the district, I travel from building to building,” Eaton said. “So I rely heavily on my phone for email and contacting people and stuff like that, and if I’m not on district WiFi, my phone is a paperweight.”

AT&T cellular returned around 11 a.m.