Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.
District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab
David Moss and Zoey SroteApril 24, 2024

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members...

A police officer parks on campus to survey the environment and as a safety precautions. The district increased police presence amidst a school shooting threat that was called into 911 on Sunday.
911 Threat Causes Students to Stay Home, Admin to Increase Security
Emily Chen and Shreya DasApril 22, 2024

The person responsible for yesterday's 911 threat against a Rockwood high school is still unknown. “Today we were alerted that the police...

MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

Improvements Planned for Wilson Avenue

Media by Annabelle Miller
In the spring of 2026, the City of Chesterfield will be straightening out two curves on Wilson Avenue, one of which is shown above. The city will also widen the road, add sidewalks and a bike lane, and reconstruct the Wild Horse Creek road intersection. Evan Voelker, junior, uses the road every day to get to school. “I was initially concerned that the proposed improvements to Wilson could make it a larger cut-through road, but after actually reading the plan I am no longer concerned,” Voelker said. “The city is only making necessary and minor safety improvements.”

When Ivanka Lopes, junior, drove around a tight curve a few weeks ago, her car skidded off the shoulder of Wilson Avenue. 

“It was snowing, and I had to get home,” Lopes said. “It was very scary.”

Lopes and her vehicle weren’t harmed, and Lopes said she continues to drive down Wilson Avenue two to three times a day despite the incident. 

The City of Chesterfield is improving Wilson Avenue within the project limits shown in red.
Map provided by the City of Chesterfield

Throughout 2023, the City of Chesterfield has been preparing to improve Wilson Avenue. In November, the City began appraising and acquiring the land needed to carry out the project. Construction is estimated to begin in the Spring of 2026 after the City finalizes plans with a construction company. 

Wilson Avenue connects Wild Horse Creek Road to Clarkson Road and is frequented by students driving to school. Lopes said she avoided Wilson Avenue when first learning to drive, as it is narrow, curvy and often wet or icy.

Jim Eckrich, Chesterfield director of public works, said the city has been looking to improve the road since 1994. The project was revisited in 2021 due to resident requests.

Eckrich said the main problems with the road are the alignment of the road, danger at the intersection with Wild Horse Creek Road, lack of pedestrian accommodations and an inability to drain water efficiently.

“We don’t maintain many roads like Wilson, so this is a very different project for us,” Eckrich said.

The total cost of the project is $2.5 million, with $1.14 million being grant-funded. The road will be expanded from 18 feet to 22 feet wide with four-foot shoulders, and bike lanes and sidewalks will be added. The sharp curve near the intersection of Wild Horse Creek Road will be lessened and the intersection will be reconstructed. 

It’s a difficult project, but it’s certainly not impossible.

— Jim Eckrich

“It’s a difficult project, but it’s certainly not impossible,” Eckrich said. “The worry right now is acquiring right-of-way from some of the adjacent property owners because it’s such an old road.”

Although the project was revisited due to resident complaints, Eckrich said there has been much debate over the road’s expansion. 

The intersection of Wilson Avenue and Wild Horse Creek road will be reconstructed by the City of Chesterfield in Spring 2026. (Media by Annabelle Miller)

“For a while, the residents in the area couldn’t decide if they wanted the road improved or not,” Eckrich said.

Jessica Aldenderfer, senior, lives off of Wilson Avenue, and her parents attended a town hall meeting about the improvements recently. She said she doesn’t think the project is necessary. 

“Besides those two turns at the very end, I don’t think the road is that bad,” Aldenderfer said. 

She said she is glad for the improved safety of the road but doesn’t think the road needs to be widened. 

Aldenderfer said she uses the road almost every day as a shortcut to the Valley and her church. If the Wild Horse Creek Road intersection is closed, Aldenderfer said she and her family will need to take Baxter instead. 

“It wouldn’t be awful, but it would just take a little more time which I wouldn’t be happy with,” Aldenderfer said.