Katelyn Heitert, senior, and a group of friends honor Rhegan Sajben each February by fundraising for different animal shelters. Sajben often volunteered at animal shelters with her family and adopted her dog Billie from a shelter she volunteered at. (Media by Laura Heitert)
PAWS for Rhegan Raises Money For Shelters
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • February 23, 2024

Katelyn Heitert, senior, has been raising money for animal shelters since 2022, but it’s not her love for animals that motivates her. It’s...

When students who have AT&T service tried to send text messages earlier today, they may have received a response saying AT&T is down due to a nation-wide outage.
Phone Outage Affects Students, Staff
Hailey Neuner and Zoey SroteFebruary 22, 2024

AT&T announced a nationwide cellular outage earlier today. The reason for the outage is still unknown. Carter DeVault, senior, first noticed...

The administration team surprised math teacher Matt Nienhaus during Ac Lab on Tuesday, Feb. 20, with the honor of being this years Teacher of the Year.
Matt Nienhaus Named Teacher of the Year
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • February 21, 2024

Cross Country Coach Matt Nienhaus is the 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year.  Administrators and those close to Nienhaus surprised him during...

Student audience members perform a short step routine. The routine was taught to them during the workshop. The participants engaged in a friendly competition against the Step team that was judged by the volume of the audience’s cheers.
MHS Celebrates Black History Month
Justin Small, Angel DiSalvo, and Jack FavazzaFebruary 21, 2024

When Gavin McDonnell, freshman, signed up to see an art display for Black History Month during Ac Lab on Wednesday, Feb. 7, he did not fully...

Sophomores Establish Girls United Club

Media by Elizabeth Bahr
Katelyn Skiles and Addison Risenhoover, sophomores, introduce themselves during the first Girls United meeting. The first meeting had 15 attendees and was dedicated to getting to know each other.

When Katelyn Skiles, sophomore, noticed the lack of a safe space for girls at MHS, she and Addison Risenhoover set out to start a new club: Girls United.

Girls United Club held its first meeting on Monday, Jan. 22, in Room 294 with Jennifer Shipp, language arts teacher, as its sponsor. Their first meeting covered introductions and had 15 attendees. 

It’s a club for girls by girls. We hope that Girls United can be a place for girls to feel safe and less alone in their experiences with misogyny.

— Katelyn Skiles

“It’s a club for girls by girls,” said Skiles, co-founder of the club. “We hope that Girls United can be a place for girls to feel safe and less alone in their experiences with misogyny.”

The club’s main goal is to expand and cultivate inclusion at MHS. The club is open to all students, but Skiles said it will mainly cater to girls’ experiences. Skiles said the club will hold discussions, play games and bond through shared experiences and feelings. 

Shipp said her personal goal as sponsor is to help the group get their message out. She wants to provide a welcoming space to allow students to create a tight-knit community where acceptance is a core value. 

“Despite its name, the club is open to anyone who shares the same ideas,” Shipp said. “[The club’s] goal is to support all women regardless of race, color, religion or sexual orientation.”

Inspired to start the club due to the sexism and misogyny she sees daily at MHS, Risenhoover said the club plans to fundraise and volunteer around the community for less fortunate young women.

“[You] should join because we will provide a safe and fun space,” said Risenhoover. “To join, simply show up.” 

The next Girls United Club meeting will be held on February 5 during Mod 2 in Room 294, where the club will be discussing sexism in the classrooms and at school. The club typically meets every other Monday.