Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.
District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab
David Moss and Zoey SroteApril 24, 2024

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members...

A police officer parks on campus to survey the environment and as a safety precautions. The district increased police presence amidst a school shooting threat that was called into 911 on Sunday.
911 Threat Causes Students to Stay Home, Admin to Increase Security
Emily Chen and Shreya DasApril 22, 2024

The person responsible for yesterday's 911 threat against a Rockwood high school is still unknown. “Today we were alerted that the police...

MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

Luxons Robotics Team Advances to State

Media by Zeke Shorkey
The Luxon robotics team competes at a tournament held at MHS in January. Since then, the team has advanced and his heading to State in March.

Tension filled the gym during the First Tech Challenge (FTC) awards ceremony as the announcers called out the teams that would be moving on to the state competition on Saturday, March 2. 

Senior Lisha Maganti, co-captain of the Luxons robotics team along with Joshua Li, senior, anxiously waited for the results. Hearing their number finally get called, she and her team exploded with excitement. 

The Luxons’ robot is named Luminary. It has a spinner intake that picks up items for games. The intake then transfers the items to a box connected to the robot, which can be rotated to drop the item to score. (Media by Aryan Valsa Pradeep)

“We were all extremely happy and excited,” Maganti said. 

The Luxons are the only RSD robotics team to qualify for State. 

Maganti said entering the qualifier meet on Sat. Feb. 3, the team was ranked at second place, but the competition went differently than they expected. The Luxons ended up being picked as alliance partners, which allowed them to team up with another team and their robot, leading them to qualify for State. 

“It was all a surprise at the end, we didn’t even think we’d go,” Maganti said. 

Now looking forward to State, Maganti said the team plans to make minor changes to their robot Luminary, such as making its movements faster. Their intake uses boba straw spinners against a ramp to pick up items and drop it into a box on their robot. The box is attached to an arm that slides up and rotates to deliver the item wherever needed. They also plan to increase their outreach to the community. 

Janet Koch, club sponsor,  said she has been surprised at how hardworking and creative each team member is.

“I thought there was going to be a lot more work on my part to learn, but the students are very advanced,” Koch said.

Despite the steeper competition this year, Koch has high hopes for State, noting the team’s talent and how much effort they have put in this season. 

“I feel like they’ve got very good chances to do well, I’m very proud of their efforts,” Koch said. 

Koch has also taken note of how focused and anxious the team is going into the next rounds. 

“They’re very focused on making their portfolio good and to make their robot be in its top performance,” Koch said. 

Many team members, like Caleb Monzyk, junior, were excited to hear that their hard work paid off. 

We consistently set state records and were one of the top teams in the world at one point.

— Caleb Monzyk

Monzyk works on 3D modeling and design for the Luxons and estimates he spent 200 hours this season working on the robot design. 

“I am basically the sole person who works on it so it was definitely a lot,” Monzyk said. 

Monzyk said he expected to qualify for State because the team has strong leadership and organization. 

“We consistently set state records and were one of the top teams in the world at one point,” Monzyk said. 

Despite this, Monzyk said qualifying was more difficult than he anticipated and the team will have to make improvements to have a fair shot of making it to Worlds, the international competition in April at the George R Brown Convention Center in Houston, Texas.

“It was definitely a big challenge even to qualify for State, so we’re definitely going to need to step up our game in order to have a chance to compete with all the best teams from around Missouri,” Monzyk said.