Katelyn Heitert, senior, and a group of friends honor Rhegan Sajben each February by fundraising for different animal shelters. Sajben often volunteered at animal shelters with her family and adopted her dog Billie from a shelter she volunteered at. (Media by Laura Heitert)
PAWS for Rhegan Raises Money For Shelters
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • February 23, 2024

Katelyn Heitert, senior, has been raising money for animal shelters since 2022, but it’s not her love for animals that motivates her. It’s...

When students who have AT&T service tried to send text messages earlier today, they may have received a response saying AT&T is down due to a nation-wide outage.
Phone Outage Affects Students, Staff
Hailey Neuner and Zoey SroteFebruary 22, 2024

AT&T announced a nationwide cellular outage earlier today. The reason for the outage is still unknown. Carter DeVault, senior, first noticed...

The administration team surprised math teacher Matt Nienhaus during Ac Lab on Tuesday, Feb. 20, with the honor of being this years Teacher of the Year.
Matt Nienhaus Named Teacher of the Year
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • February 21, 2024

Cross Country Coach Matt Nienhaus is the 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year.  Administrators and those close to Nienhaus surprised him during...

Student audience members perform a short step routine. The routine was taught to them during the workshop. The participants engaged in a friendly competition against the Step team that was judged by the volume of the audience’s cheers.
MHS Celebrates Black History Month
Justin Small, Angel DiSalvo, and Jack FavazzaFebruary 21, 2024

When Gavin McDonnell, freshman, signed up to see an art display for Black History Month during Ac Lab on Wednesday, Feb. 7, he did not fully...

Luxons Robotics Team Advances to State

Media by Zeke Shorkey
The Luxon robotics team competes at a tournament held at MHS in January. Since then, the team has advanced and his heading to State in March.

Tension filled the gym during the First Tech Challenge (FTC) awards ceremony as the announcers called out the teams that would be moving on to the state competition on Saturday, March 2. 

Senior Lisha Maganti, co-captain of the Luxons robotics team along with Joshua Li, senior, anxiously waited for the results. Hearing their number finally get called, she and her team exploded with excitement. 

The Luxons’ robot is named Luminary. It has a spinner intake that picks up items for games. The intake then transfers the items to a box connected to the robot, which can be rotated to drop the item to score. (Media by Aryan Valsa Pradeep)

“We were all extremely happy and excited,” Maganti said. 

The Luxons are the only RSD robotics team to qualify for State. 

Maganti said entering the qualifier meet on Sat. Feb. 3, the team was ranked at second place, but the competition went differently than they expected. The Luxons ended up being picked as alliance partners, which allowed them to team up with another team and their robot, leading them to qualify for State. 

“It was all a surprise at the end, we didn’t even think we’d go,” Maganti said. 

Now looking forward to State, Maganti said the team plans to make minor changes to their robot Luminary, such as making its movements faster. Their intake uses boba straw spinners against a ramp to pick up items and drop it into a box on their robot. The box is attached to an arm that slides up and rotates to deliver the item wherever needed. They also plan to increase their outreach to the community. 

Janet Koch, club sponsor,  said she has been surprised at how hardworking and creative each team member is.

“I thought there was going to be a lot more work on my part to learn, but the students are very advanced,” Koch said.

Despite the steeper competition this year, Koch has high hopes for State, noting the team’s talent and how much effort they have put in this season. 

“I feel like they’ve got very good chances to do well, I’m very proud of their efforts,” Koch said. 

Koch has also taken note of how focused and anxious the team is going into the next rounds. 

“They’re very focused on making their portfolio good and to make their robot be in its top performance,” Koch said. 

Many team members, like Caleb Monzyk, junior, were excited to hear that their hard work paid off. 

We consistently set state records and were one of the top teams in the world at one point.

— Caleb Monzyk

Monzyk works on 3D modeling and design for the Luxons and estimates he spent 200 hours this season working on the robot design. 

“I am basically the sole person who works on it so it was definitely a lot,” Monzyk said. 

Monzyk said he expected to qualify for State because the team has strong leadership and organization. 

“We consistently set state records and were one of the top teams in the world at one point,” Monzyk said. 

Despite this, Monzyk said qualifying was more difficult than he anticipated and the team will have to make improvements to have a fair shot of making it to Worlds, the international competition in April at the George R Brown Convention Center in Houston, Texas.

“It was definitely a big challenge even to qualify for State, so we’re definitely going to need to step up our game in order to have a chance to compete with all the best teams from around Missouri,” Monzyk said.