Katelyn Heitert, senior, and a group of friends honor Rhegan Sajben each February by fundraising for different animal shelters. Sajben often volunteered at animal shelters with her family and adopted her dog Billie from a shelter she volunteered at. (Media by Laura Heitert)
PAWS for Rhegan Raises Money For Shelters
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • February 23, 2024

Katelyn Heitert, senior, has been raising money for animal shelters since 2022, but it’s not her love for animals that motivates her. It’s...

When students who have AT&T service tried to send text messages earlier today, they may have received a response saying AT&T is down due to a nation-wide outage.
Phone Outage Affects Students, Staff
Hailey Neuner and Zoey SroteFebruary 22, 2024

AT&T announced a nationwide cellular outage earlier today. The reason for the outage is still unknown. Carter DeVault, senior, first noticed...

The administration team surprised math teacher Matt Nienhaus during Ac Lab on Tuesday, Feb. 20, with the honor of being this years Teacher of the Year.
Matt Nienhaus Named Teacher of the Year
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • February 21, 2024

Cross Country Coach Matt Nienhaus is the 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year.  Administrators and those close to Nienhaus surprised him during...

Student audience members perform a short step routine. The routine was taught to them during the workshop. The participants engaged in a friendly competition against the Step team that was judged by the volume of the audience’s cheers.
MHS Celebrates Black History Month
Justin Small, Angel DiSalvo, and Jack FavazzaFebruary 21, 2024

When Gavin McDonnell, freshman, signed up to see an art display for Black History Month during Ac Lab on Wednesday, Feb. 7, he did not fully...

Students, Staff, Participate in First-Ever Academic Fair

Kevin+Schultz%2C+language+arts+teacher%2C+talks+with+several+students+during+the+first-ever+academic+fair.+The+fair+took+place+during+Mod+2+of+Ac+Lab+on+Thursday%2C+Jan.+18%2C+and+allowed+students+to+travel+throughout+the+building+to+ask+teachers+about+classes.+
Media by David Moss
Kevin Schultz, language arts teacher, talks with several students during the first-ever academic fair. The fair took place during Mod 2 of Ac Lab on Thursday, Jan. 18, and allowed students to travel throughout the building to ask teachers about classes.

Noah Sutherland, sophomore, had many questions about classes for his junior and senior year.

He said he used MHS’ first-ever Academic Fair to look at his options and make more informed course selections.

The fair took place during Mod 2 of Ac Lab on Thursday, Jan. 18, and allowed students to travel throughout the building to ask teachers about classes.

“I’m looking at the differences between a couple of language arts classes, and having access to the resources there has been super useful when looking at AP Lit versus AP Lang,” Sutherland said.

Associate Principal Dr. Michael Wegener coordinated the fair with the department chairs.

Dr. Wegener said the event was challenging to produce due to its lack of history and the numerous courses offered.

“We pulled the entire master schedule,” Dr. Wegener said. “For every course that we offer at MHS, there was a teacher representing.”

The academic fair gives students a better understanding of their options and pathways, Dr. Wegener said. This is especially helpful since the new Academic Plan on Infinite Campus means freshmen and sophomores will be selecting courses beyond their next year in high school.

“I hope students can make better, educated decisions about the courses they want to take,” Dr. Wegener said. “That will result in fewer schedule changes and make students aware of what programs are available to them later on in high school.”

Noelle Kowalski, freshman, said during the Academic Fair, she considered how to set up her classes to prepare for college. Based on what she learned, Kowalski said she plans to take Honors Algebra 2 next year so she can then take Precalculus and Statistics in her junior and senior years, respectively.

I hope students can make better, educated decisions about the courses they want to take. That will result in fewer schedule changes and make students aware of what programs are available to them later on in high school.

— Dr. Michael Wegener

“I like how the teachers are open to talk about classes,” Kowalski said.

Ellen Klasing, Calculus BC teacher, said roughly 50 students visited Darcy Hachmeister, Calculus AB teacher, and her in Room 317.

Hachmeister said the main inquiry students had during the fair was the difference between Calculus AB and Calculus BC. Calculus AB covers Calculus 1, and Calculus BC covers Calculus 1 and 2.

“In terms of what the kids have gained from this, they [now know] the differences between the two courses and the expectations,” Hachmeister said.

She said the academic fair is about how a student utilizes it.

“I think some students are going to get 110 percent out of it,” Hachmeister said. “I think some students are going to get negative 30 percent out of it because they’re not going to go anywhere and they’re just roaming.”

Both Klasing and Hachmeister said the fair can be very beneficial but may need some “tweaks” for next year to create accountability and encourage students to make use of the time.