Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine spoke to the Girls United club about sexual harassment policies during Ac Lab this afternoon. The new policy that restricts club guest speakers to before or after school does not affect clubs who invite guest speakers that work within the building.
District Admin Restrict Club Speakers During Ac Lab
David Moss and Zoey SroteApril 24, 2024

Jacob Barton, sophomore, was planning to invite Students for Life’s (SFL) Ozarks Regional Coordinator Kendall Hirte to speak to the members...

A police officer parks on campus to survey the environment and as a safety precautions. The district increased police presence amidst a school shooting threat that was called into 911 on Sunday.
911 Threat Causes Students to Stay Home, Admin to Increase Security
Emily Chen and Shreya DasApril 22, 2024

The person responsible for yesterday's 911 threat against a Rockwood high school is still unknown. “Today we were alerted that the police...

MHS students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 24-25 school year. Next year, instead of four lunch shifts, there will be three. “I like the three lunch shift idea because on A-Days there is such an imbalance of classes and we always end up doing something in fourth hour that the other classes don’t get to,” Sen said.
MHS Alters 24-25 Lunch Shift Schedule
Aubrey Lacavich and Claire LowderApril 19, 2024

MHS alters 24-25 lunch shift schedule Students should expect a change in lunch schedules for the 2024-2025 school year: instead of four lunch...

Celebration of Life Held for Student Soren Roeseler
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 18, 2024

On Wednesday, April 17, a Celebration of Life was held for Senior Soren Roeseler. Fire effect: "https://www.vecteezy.com/free-videos/grill"...

District Approves Decision to Move Finals Before Break for 24-25 School Year

Next+year%2C+students+can+put+away+their+books+over+winter+break.+The+Board+of+Education+approved+the+24-25+calendar+on+Dec.+7+which+will+end+first+semester+before+winter+break.+This+means+finals+will+also+take+place+before+break.+
Media by Annabelle Miller
Next year, students can put away their books over winter break. The Board of Education approved the 24-25 calendar on Dec. 7 which will end first semester before winter break. This means finals will also take place before break.

Students will no longer need to study over Winter Break because, next year, finals will be before break

The Board of Education finalized the 2024-25 calendar on Dec. 7 endorsing a notable change in scheduling – concluding the first semester before winter break.

Dr. Kelly Sollberger, head of the calendar committee and director of human resources, said the committee was planning to make this change for the 2025-26 school year but felt it was possible to implement it as early as next year. 

“We decided that it’s best for our students to be able to end their courses and take finals prior to leaving for winter break,” Dr. Sollberger said.

The first day of school will be Aug. 19 and the last day will be May 23. There will also be an early dismissal day before break begins on Dec. 19.

We decided that it’s best for our students to be able to end their courses and take finals prior to leaving for winter break,

— Dr. Kelly Sollberger

Because first semester will end before winter break, there will be an imbalance of days between the first and second semesters. First semester will have 83 and second semester will have 93. Dr. Sollberger said this happens often and will even out in the long run.

“What we find is that you end up losing more instructional days during second semester because of MAP testing and state EOC testing,” she said. 

For the past four school years, final exams were scheduled post-winter break due to complications arising from a Missouri Law. The law requires schools to start no earlier than 14 days before Labor Day. Dr. Sollberger said the law gives the calendar committee very few extra days to work with.

“If you want to get out before Memorial Day, there’s no way to do it unless you keep the schedule pretty tight,” Dr. Sollberger said.

Joshua Hyde, social studies teacher, supported the decision to shift the calendar back, emphasizing that concluding the semester before winter break is best for students.

It reduces students’ stress during winter break, and it just feels better, more complete,

— Ivy Wang

“It’s a little bit easier on the students to have [winter break] in line with how the semester ends versus having to come back after two weeks off and take finals,” Hyde said.

Hyde said a major difficulty of the current schedule is getting students to study and prepare for finals over break.

Ivy Wang, sophomore, said she appreciates not having to study over break in the future. 

“It reduces students’ stress during winter break, and it just feels better, more complete,” Wang said.

A struggle she said she had last year was forgetting information over break and having to study harder for finals.

“Information will just leave your brain if you don’t have finals right before Winter Break,” Wang said.

Many of her classes have already moved their finals before break, so Wang said it won’t be a major transition next year.