Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.
Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 21, 2024

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before...

At any given time, students can be found in the Library or in a classroom on their phone, sometimes while also on another screen such as their Chromebook.
Hard Habit to Break
Willem Hummel and Gwyn MathusMay 17, 2024

Gianna Kensy, sophomore, said she often feels peer pressure to constantly post on social media. “On Snapchat, it's mainly you wanna say...

On Friday night, the northern lights were visible within miles of MHS.
Look Up
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 15, 2024

Parker Goltzman, freshman, was in Malinmor, Missouri, celebrating his dad’s birthday on Friday, May 10. “I was outside with my family...

Community Reflects on 2023

Media by Eli Ferguson
Ivy Wang, sophomore, talks to Sneha Deo, sophomore, in Room 220. This is the same room where Model United Nations meets, one of Wang’s fondest activities from 2023.

When looking back on 2023, Patrick Schrappen, chemistry teacher, said it was overall a good year for him with a balance of both good and bad events. 

“I finished paying off my student loans,” Schrappen said. “I was able to spend some time visiting with family that I haven’t seen often and I was able to take my first vacation in 12 years.”

Schrappen went to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. 

Patrick Schrappen, chemistry teacher, takes a selfie at sunset on vacation to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Media By Patrick Schrappen

“I was able to see the sun rising over the Atlantic, and was able to do a lot of things that I wouldn’t be able to do because of what’s available on the East Coast compared to the West,” Schrappen said. “The vacation gave me a chance to look at scenery and enjoy the peace of the world without having to worry about deadlines or hold up a conversation with someone else, to just be in the moment.”

Schrappen said he has high hopes for the new year.

“I’m optimistic. I’d be finished with my last degree and I can stop having to worry about grad school. Then I would have a year without anything hindering or holding me back from what I want to achieve,” Schrappen said. ”My biggest goal for 2024 is to buy a house.”

Joslyn Bogner, junior, looks back over the past year with fondness but also anticipation for the new year.

“There were definitely some projects with AP European History that I had a lot of fun with and being done with the AP European History Exam in the May of 2023,” Bogner said.

One project she remembers fondly is a project in which they held a tea party with various figures from the late 1800s in Europe.

“I was also very excited to learn some of the orbitals in Physics and Kepler’s Laws,” Bogner said.

Going into junior year, Bogner had some apprehensions.

“I was really worried going into Junior year about the workload and difficulty,” Bogner said. “It’s not a cakewalk, but I’m managing a lot better than I thought I would.”

Bogner said she hopes to pass all of her classes with a “decent grade” this year and apply to colleges.

“I have high hopes for the summer and senior year,” Bogner said.

“I have high hopes for the summer and senior year.”

— Joslyn Bogner

Ivy Wang’s, sophomore, word to describe the past year was stressful.

“I managed to survive. I got my grades to where I’m happy with it, but mostly I managed to survive it,” Wang said.

Wang’s favorite moments of the year were “Model UN shenanigans.”

“Those meetings were the highlight of my year: to sit in a room, screw around and talk about politics,” Wang said.

This year Wang is excited about helping to run the American Regional Biology Competition (ARBC) in St. Louis which is planned for April and she worked on it over the summer of 2023. She is also excited for the Model United Nations conference at University of Chicago in February.