After Spring Break, mirrors in MHS bathrooms were moved or removed. This is a way to protect students privacy since bathroom doors are now being propped open, Freshman Principal Kyle Devine said.
Bathroom Mirror Removal Frustrates Students
Morgan Siegel and Samantha PerzApril 11, 2024

Racquel Borland, sophomore, wakes up at 5:30 a.m. every morning to begin getting ready for school before she leaves to catch her bus at 6:40...

Braden Hiley, freshman, views courses he selected through the Academic Plan.
New Academic Plan Receives Positive Responses From Students, Staff
Zoey Srote, Staff Reporter • April 11, 2024

Braden Hiley, freshman, recently selected the classes he wants to take for the rest of his time at MHS through the new Academic Plan on Infinite...

MHSNews | Duo Dogs Visit Special Olympics
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • April 10, 2024

Duo Dogs Touch Therapy visited the third annual MHS Special Olympics. The dogs interacted with athletes, buddies and volunteers.

Mustangs Mourn the Loss of Student Soren Roeseler
April 8, 2024

This story has been updated with information on the memorial service. Mustangs are mourning the loss of senior Soren Roeseler who passed...

S.A.F.E. Club Re-introduces Recycling At Lunch

Media by Elliott Jorgensen
The recycling cans at lunch will feature an infographic of what can be recycled.

The Commons used to have recycling bins for water bottles before they were removed, Principal Dr. Tracey Wackerle said.

“We have had issues with recycling processes in the past of students using them as trash replicates,” Dr. Wackerle said. “We had to kind of filter through it and pull the trash out because the recycling companies won’t take it.” 

The new recycling bins will feature an infographic showing what can and cannot be recycled. Cans, bottles, and milk cartons are accepted in these new recycling bins.

Large recycling bins will be used to account for the large amount of people at lunch. (Media by Elliott Jorgensen)

Senior Harini Annadorai, the vice president of S.A.F.E., noticed that with no recycling bins, everything must be thrown away. 

She and other S.A.F.E members decided that putting recycling cans in the lunchroom might make things easier for people to recycle. The ability to recycle could also decrease waste in general.

“I’m hoping that everyone will realize that recycling is an option. People can start thinking about their waste and what they can recycle,” Annadorai said. 

These bins were donated by other teachers, and the bags are from the custodial team. Collection and sorting will be done by S.A.F.E members after lunch. 

Annadorai said recycling is the first step in helping the environment. 

“We’re not just recycling. We are keeping the planet healthier and safer,” Annadorai said. 

Susan Hartley, sponsor of the S.A.F.E. club, said there is an overall need to bring awareness to “trying to save the planet”.

The goal is just to do things to better the environment at our school and try to make a difference,

— Susan Hartley

“The goal is just to do things to better the environment at our school and try to make a difference,” Hartley said.