The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.
Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 21, 2024

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before...

At any given time, students can be found in the Library or in a classroom on their phone, sometimes while also on another screen such as their Chromebook.
Hard Habit to Break
Willem Hummel and Gwyn MathusMay 17, 2024

Gianna Kensy, sophomore, said she often feels peer pressure to constantly post on social media. “On Snapchat, it's mainly you wanna say...

On Friday night, the northern lights were visible within miles of MHS.
Look Up
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 15, 2024

Parker Goltzman, freshman, was in Malinmor, Missouri, celebrating his dad’s birthday on Friday, May 10. “I was outside with my family...

Katy Drissell, American Sign Language teacher, leads her ASL 1 in signing about the weather on Wednesday, May 15.
District Adds American Sign Language 3 to Course Offerings
Morgan Siegel, Staff Reporter • May 15, 2024

Ever since she learned the alphabet in American Sign Language (ASL) in elementary school, Payton Smith, senior, has been interested in the language.  Smith...

Workers Install Lighting on the New Bridge

After 30 years, the bridge to the main entrance was replaced due to chipping

Students who arrived after the starting bell on Friday, Sept. 28, were met with an uncommon circumstance at the newly renovated front entrance of the school: a crane was blocking the Welcome Center.

This was because new lights were being installed in front of the school. Construction workers lowered themselves below the bridge in order to install the cable through the bottom of the bridge. 

The district scheduled the bridge replacement over this past summer and it was finished just days before the start of the school year. 

Since the school opened in 1993, the bridge has been the same.

“Hopefully this bridge will last another 30,” Principal Dr. Tracey Waeckerle said. 

Dr. Waeckerle said the renovation was necessary as the concrete on the bridge had been chipping.

The planter and benches were removed for construction, but two have been reinstalled. The Marquette Parent Organization also placed more benches around the gym entrance to give students a place to wait for rides.

Mookie poses on the planter that was demolished this summer during the bridge renovation. The newest Mookie costume, made in 2017, features a muscular horse with the school colors of green and navy blue in the mane. (Media by Aleena Shaik (she/her))

The large planter in front of the school was also removed during construction.

“We are going to get some more benches out when it’s officially cleared, but for the big structure, we’re working with the parent organization,” Dr. Waeckerle said.

Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine said there has been some talk about renovating the front entrance to the school. The renovation would connect and enclose the white overhangs to create one central entrance. (Media by Emily Chien)

Ellie Pryce, sophomore, said the new entrance is nicer.

“It feels more spacious, but I do think there should be more places to sit,” Pryce said.

The administration is talking about an even larger extension in the future to the current front entrance. Sophomore Principal Kyle Devine said the idea is to connect and enclose the white overhangs to create a single and larger main entrance to the building. This concept would increase safety and cause less confusion for visitors.

Devine said the main hang up is the funding. 

As of now, a timeline of these tentative plans will not be solidified until funding is secured.

Additional reporting from Annabelle Miller & Aubrey Lacavich.