The parking lot is divided into senior parking and junior parking with senior parking being closest to the entrance. With seniors gone for the last two weeks of school, sophomores were able to purchase the use of a spot for the remainder of the year for $10.
Sophomores Buy Senior Parking Spots for Remainder of Year
Justin Small, In-Depth Editor • May 21, 2024

Because the senior lot was to become vacant after the Class of 2024’s graduation on Saturday, May 11, with two more weeks of classes before...

At any given time, students can be found in the Library or in a classroom on their phone, sometimes while also on another screen such as their Chromebook.
Hard Habit to Break
Willem Hummel and Gwyn MathusMay 17, 2024

Gianna Kensy, sophomore, said she often feels peer pressure to constantly post on social media. “On Snapchat, it's mainly you wanna say...

On Friday night, the northern lights were visible within miles of MHS.
Look Up
Kate Jesperson, Opinions Editor • May 15, 2024

Parker Goltzman, freshman, was in Malinmor, Missouri, celebrating his dad’s birthday on Friday, May 10. “I was outside with my family...

Katy Drissell, American Sign Language teacher, leads her ASL 1 in signing about the weather on Wednesday, May 15.
District Adds American Sign Language 3 to Course Offerings
Morgan Siegel, Staff Reporter • May 15, 2024

Ever since she learned the alphabet in American Sign Language (ASL) in elementary school, Payton Smith, senior, has been interested in the language.  Smith...

A+ Program Deadline Approaches for Seniors

Media by Annabelle Miller
The guidance office offers information for students to get involved with the A+ program, which provides students who meet requirements with state-paid financial aid.

The deadline for seniors graduating early to apply for the A+ program scholarship is this Saturday, Sept. 30. For all other seniors, the deadline is Jan. 31, 2024. 

The A+ program, offered to students in Missouri, encourages students to achieve eligibility for state-paid financial aid to attend a participating public community college or vocational/technical school.

Associate Principal Dr. Michael Wegener has overseen the A+ Program at both Oakville High School and MHS.

Dr. Wegener said the program benefits students who haven’t decided on a major or career path yet.

“It gives you the opportunity to complete the courses that you would need for any kind of degree for free,” Dr. Wegener said. “It also gives you the opportunity to explore some of those courses to see what path you would like to pursue once you finish.”

I ended up with no debt when I left college, which was super rad.

— Alex McAteer

To be eligible for financial aid, students must have above a 2.5 GPA, a 95% attendance rate and participate in up to 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring, according to the Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development.

More information can be found on MHS’ website, and students can join the program until Jan. 31 of their senior year by talking with their guidance counselor. The guidance office strongly recommends students complete all requirements by Sept. 30 of their senior year.

Conner Wilhelm, senior, signed up for the A+ program his freshman year in order to take summer classes at a community college before pursuing an engineering degree.

“I’ve been doing courses to get my credits in and teacher aiding for Mrs. Pease this year,” Wilhelm said.

Wilhelm said he got involved in the program because his sister completed it, and his parents encouraged him to join A+ as well.

It gives you the opportunity to complete the courses that you would need for any kind of degree for free.

— Dr. Michael Wegener

“It is easy money, really, because it’s free,” Wilhelm said.

Alex McAteer, social studies teacher, was part of the A+ program during high school and said he earned two free years of community college before transferring to Missouri Baptist University for the rest of his degree in secondary education and social sciences.

“I ended up with no debt when I left college, which was super rad,” McAteer said.

Mcateer said he would encourage all students to be part of the program.

“It’s easy money. If you’re not doing it, you’re leaving money on the table,” McAteer said.