Superintendent Dr. Curtis Cain updates Rockwood high school student journalists on the Belonging Through a Culture of Dignity program on Monday, April 22. This training program is part of RSD’s long-term student success plan, The Way Forward, and is one of many new equity initiatives in the district.
"DEI" Disappearance: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programs Rebrand and Innovate
David Moss, News Editor • May 31, 2024

Equity at MHS Junior Lucas Tourinho, vice president of the Student Equity and Belonging Club, helps plan and organize many events throughout...

Nearly every bathroom stall in the building has graffiti. This graffiti was in the girls bathroom on the third floor A-wing.
Students, Admin Address Graffiti in Campus Bathrooms
Katelyn Skiles, Staff Reporter • May 28, 2024

Prairie Fleming, sophomore, marches down the second floor hallway, treading the same path of hundreds of students. She's heading to the bathroom...

Robin Craig, language arts teacher, has students in her Ac Lab to work together on projects. Ac Lab is a 90-minute period where students can catch up with missing assignments and tests.
Ac Lab Homerooms to be Assigned by Grade Level
Emily Chien, A&E Editor • May 25, 2024

At the start of every Ac Lab, Sophie Lane, junior, excitedly talks with her classmates and teacher, Jonah Boyd. “I feel like I’ve made...

Students in the Authentic Science Research class create their own research projects and use district materials and labs to complete projects.
Authentic Science Research 3 Removed from 2024-2025 Course Offerings
Emily Chau, Staff Reporter • May 23, 2024

Emma Carcamo, junior, sadly looks at her Chromebook screen. She has requested her schedule for the 2024-2025 school year but suddenly has to...

A+ Program Deadline Approaches for Seniors

Media by Annabelle Miller
The guidance office offers information for students to get involved with the A+ program, which provides students who meet requirements with state-paid financial aid.

The deadline for seniors graduating early to apply for the A+ program scholarship is this Saturday, Sept. 30. For all other seniors, the deadline is Jan. 31, 2024. 

The A+ program, offered to students in Missouri, encourages students to achieve eligibility for state-paid financial aid to attend a participating public community college or vocational/technical school.

Associate Principal Dr. Michael Wegener has overseen the A+ Program at both Oakville High School and MHS.

Dr. Wegener said the program benefits students who haven’t decided on a major or career path yet.

“It gives you the opportunity to complete the courses that you would need for any kind of degree for free,” Dr. Wegener said. “It also gives you the opportunity to explore some of those courses to see what path you would like to pursue once you finish.”

I ended up with no debt when I left college, which was super rad.

— Alex McAteer

To be eligible for financial aid, students must have above a 2.5 GPA, a 95% attendance rate and participate in up to 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring, according to the Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development.

More information can be found on MHS’ website, and students can join the program until Jan. 31 of their senior year by talking with their guidance counselor. The guidance office strongly recommends students complete all requirements by Sept. 30 of their senior year.

Conner Wilhelm, senior, signed up for the A+ program his freshman year in order to take summer classes at a community college before pursuing an engineering degree.

“I’ve been doing courses to get my credits in and teacher aiding for Mrs. Pease this year,” Wilhelm said.

Wilhelm said he got involved in the program because his sister completed it, and his parents encouraged him to join A+ as well.

It gives you the opportunity to complete the courses that you would need for any kind of degree for free.

— Dr. Michael Wegener

“It is easy money, really, because it’s free,” Wilhelm said.

Alex McAteer, social studies teacher, was part of the A+ program during high school and said he earned two free years of community college before transferring to Missouri Baptist University for the rest of his degree in secondary education and social sciences.

“I ended up with no debt when I left college, which was super rad,” McAteer said.

Mcateer said he would encourage all students to be part of the program.

“It’s easy money. If you’re not doing it, you’re leaving money on the table,” McAteer said.