Katelyn Heitert, senior, and a group of friends honor Rhegan Sajben each February by fundraising for different animal shelters. Sajben often volunteered at animal shelters with her family and adopted her dog Billie from a shelter she volunteered at. (Media by Laura Heitert)
PAWS for Rhegan Raises Money For Shelters
Samantha Perz, Staff Reporter • February 23, 2024

Katelyn Heitert, senior, has been raising money for animal shelters since 2022, but it’s not her love for animals that motivates her. It’s...

When students who have AT&T service tried to send text messages earlier today, they may have received a response saying AT&T is down due to a nation-wide outage.
Phone Outage Affects Students, Staff
Hailey Neuner and Zoey SroteFebruary 22, 2024

AT&T announced a nationwide cellular outage earlier today. The reason for the outage is still unknown. Carter DeVault, senior, first noticed...

The administration team surprised math teacher Matt Nienhaus during Ac Lab on Tuesday, Feb. 20, with the honor of being this years Teacher of the Year.
Matt Nienhaus Named Teacher of the Year
Elliott Jorgensen, Associate Producer • February 21, 2024

Cross Country Coach Matt Nienhaus is the 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year.  Administrators and those close to Nienhaus surprised him during...

Student audience members perform a short step routine. The routine was taught to them during the workshop. The participants engaged in a friendly competition against the Step team that was judged by the volume of the audience’s cheers.
MHS Celebrates Black History Month
Justin Small, Angel DiSalvo, and Jack FavazzaFebruary 21, 2024

When Gavin McDonnell, freshman, signed up to see an art display for Black History Month during Ac Lab on Wednesday, Feb. 7, he did not fully...

A+ Program Deadline Approaches for Seniors

Media by Annabelle Miller
The guidance office offers information for students to get involved with the A+ program, which provides students who meet requirements with state-paid financial aid.

The deadline for seniors graduating early to apply for the A+ program scholarship is this Saturday, Sept. 30. For all other seniors, the deadline is Jan. 31, 2024. 

The A+ program, offered to students in Missouri, encourages students to achieve eligibility for state-paid financial aid to attend a participating public community college or vocational/technical school.

Associate Principal Dr. Michael Wegener has overseen the A+ Program at both Oakville High School and MHS.

Dr. Wegener said the program benefits students who haven’t decided on a major or career path yet.

“It gives you the opportunity to complete the courses that you would need for any kind of degree for free,” Dr. Wegener said. “It also gives you the opportunity to explore some of those courses to see what path you would like to pursue once you finish.”

I ended up with no debt when I left college, which was super rad.

— Alex McAteer

To be eligible for financial aid, students must have above a 2.5 GPA, a 95% attendance rate and participate in up to 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring, according to the Missouri Department of Higher Education and Workforce Development.

More information can be found on MHS’ website, and students can join the program until Jan. 31 of their senior year by talking with their guidance counselor. The guidance office strongly recommends students complete all requirements by Sept. 30 of their senior year.

Conner Wilhelm, senior, signed up for the A+ program his freshman year in order to take summer classes at a community college before pursuing an engineering degree.

“I’ve been doing courses to get my credits in and teacher aiding for Mrs. Pease this year,” Wilhelm said.

Wilhelm said he got involved in the program because his sister completed it, and his parents encouraged him to join A+ as well.

It gives you the opportunity to complete the courses that you would need for any kind of degree for free.

— Dr. Michael Wegener

“It is easy money, really, because it’s free,” Wilhelm said.

Alex McAteer, social studies teacher, was part of the A+ program during high school and said he earned two free years of community college before transferring to Missouri Baptist University for the rest of his degree in secondary education and social sciences.

“I ended up with no debt when I left college, which was super rad,” McAteer said.

Mcateer said he would encourage all students to be part of the program.

“It’s easy money. If you’re not doing it, you’re leaving money on the table,” McAteer said.